Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GDMcG

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
As of the morning of October 12, 2022, Siri on my HomePods, running OS 16.0, cannot find Apple Music artists, songs or Apple Music Radio. Nothing has changed with my Apple Music subscription. In fact, Siri on my iPhones works just fine with Apple Music. My HomePods respond by saying, “Just a sec” “One moment” “On it” and then responds it’s taking too long or it can’t find what I am asking for in my Apple Music library. I can play my own playlists by request but nothing from Apple Music Tadio, such as Apple Music Hits or other music works on the HomePods when asking Siri for it. I have tried rebooting the HomePods and the network they are on.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
As of the morning of October 12, 2022, Siri on my HomePods, running OS 16.0, cannot find Apple Music artists, songs or Apple Music Radio. Nothing has changed with my Apple Music subscription. In fact, Siri on my iPhones works just fine with Apple Music. My HomePods respond by saying, “Just a sec” “One moment” “On it” and then responds it’s taking too long or it can’t find what I am asking for in my Apple Music library. I can play my own playlists by request but nothing from Apple Music Tadio, such as Apple Music Hits or other music works on the HomePods when asking Siri for it. I have tried rebooting the HomePods and the network they are on.
This is getting out of control. I’m getting the same nonsense with simple HomeKit commands too. If rebooting doesn’t help, unfortunately I’ve got nothing at this point other than pray this all miraculously gets fixed with 16.1 😞

Reactions: GDMcG

blue82

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2018
I am having the exact same problem with two HomePods. It would be great to find a solution.

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2009
Chiming in with a "me too" here as well. It seems a general Siri issue actually, though I first noticed it on my two OG HomePods (still in version 15 software btw) and one Mini Stereo pair.

Siri is also not working on iOS though. She can't answer a simple quest like "Hey Siri, what's my name", or "Hey Siri, Shuffle my yadayada playlist".... but "Hey Siri send a message to my wife" or whatever like this works (from iOS on my phone, not HomePod).

Seems a general Siri outage not yet listed on their status page

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2009
Well folks, just like that Siri seems to be back doing her normal mostly-useless stuff. :). Check for yourself -- my HomeKit stuff is working again, she knows my name again (yay) and can answer simple stuff like "What's the weather outside"

HNfan

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2012
Atlanta
Me too! Our two HomePods haven’t worked with Apple Music for over a week now. So frustrating. Why doesn’t Apple support this product better?

GDMcG

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
Well folks, just like that Siri seems to be back doing her normal mostly-useless stuff. :). Check for yourself -- my HomeKit stuff is working again, she knows my name again (yay) and can answer simple stuff like "What's the weather outside"
Thanks. Will check it out when I get home.

GDMcG

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
Still not working for me.

GDMcG

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
I finally did as others have suggested and went into my Home app and Removed the HomePods one at a time from the Home App (which resets them) waited for them to restart and chime and re-added them to my home. Siri and Apple Music are now working again. I had to set the Language again after resetting so that Personal Requests could be enabled for the HomePods.

blue82

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2018
I have found sort of a work-around for this. It doesn't have 100% success, but it works most of the time. I discovered that the HomePod could not recognized my voice. I asked, "Hey Siri, what is my name?" and Siri didn't know. I then said, "Hey Siri, this is <my name>, play playlist <name of playlist>" and it played the playlist. If I ask the HomePod to play the playlist without identifying myself, Siri says the playlist can't be found in my library.

GDMcG

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
I have found sort of a work-around for this. It doesn't have 100% success, but it works most of the time. I discovered that the HomePod could not recognized my voice. I asked, "Hey Siri, what is my name?" and Siri didn't know. I then said, "Hey Siri, this is <my name>, play playlist <name of playlist>" and it played the playlist. If I ask the HomePod to play the playlist without identifying myself, Siri says the playlist can't be found in my library.
You won’t have to do this if you simply remove your HomePods from the Home app, resetting them, and then re-add them.

PhoenixDown

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2012
WTF Apple.... why do I have to remove and readd my HomePods to get basic functionality to work. This is getting ridiculous.

Reactions: curdy

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2009
WTF Apple.... why do I have to remove and readd my HomePods to get basic functionality to work. This is getting ridiculous.

I had to do this also just recently. I bought a pair of current-gen full-size HomePods to replace the Mini stereo-pair in my office. One of those HomePods came with HomePod OS 16.0 while the other one had 16.3.something. (I didn't buy them at the same time but it was only about 2-weeks apart and weirdly it was the first one I bought that had 16.3 while the second one had 16.0 -- and both from the same Apple Store). I had them both operating individually with their original shipped OS for a few days before I upgraded them both to 16.4 and attempted to pair them. In short, there was some oddities with the balance between them. One of them was significantly softer than the other, especially at lower volumes, such that the balance was noticeably biased to one side. I don't remember which side specifically, but I wound up having to reset both and set them up again to normalize the balance. They sound mostly fine now.

"It just works", though, right? ;-)

Reactions: PhoenixDown
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.