Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
siri gets smarter (somewhat), and sounds better, with each new ios. but why does she have to beep (twice) at me everytime i ask her a question? i mean, why can't she just answer?

"hey siri, what time is it?" "it's 3PM".

simple. to me, the beeps are like the old Notes app's yellow pad/torn page image; antiquated, and unnecessary. the beeps seem like a reminder that she's a 'robot' (albeit a friendly one).

anyway, hope that we get to that soon; let me ask her something, let her answer.

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
If you hold the home button / side button it doesn’t beep from my experience? I think it beeps with hey Siri so you know that it’s listening.

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012
siri gets smarter (somewhat), and sounds better, with each new ios. but why does she have to beep (twice) at me everytime i ask her a question? i mean, why can't she just answer?

"hey siri, what time is it?" "it's 3PM".

simple. to me, the beeps are like the old Notes app's yellow pad/torn page image; antiquated, and unnecessary. the beeps seem like a reminder that she's a 'robot' (albeit a friendly one).

anyway, hope that we get to that soon; let me ask her something, let her answer.

As someone who rides a motorcycle with a full face helmet, and a bluetooth system in there... the beeps are incredibly helpful as I use siri all the time to text, make calls, check weather, notifications etc etc while my phone is in my pocket. The beeps let me know she's listening.

That being said, it would be a nice option to turn off the beeps (and possibly Siri's voice response) entirely... or only enable them when connected to BT or something of the sort. That beep can be annoying when trying to be in a quiet situation. Same with hitting dictation on the keyboard while in messages or anywhere else dictation can be used.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
As someone who rides a motorcycle with a full face helmet, and a bluetooth system in there... the beeps are incredibly helpful as I use siri all the time to text, make calls, check weather, notifications etc etc while my phone is in my pocket. The beeps let me know she's listening.

That being said, it would be a nice option to turn off the beeps (and possibly Siri's voice response) entirely... or only enable them when connected to BT or something of the sort. That beep can be annoying when trying to be in a quiet situation. Same with hitting dictation on the keyboard while in messages or anywhere else dictation can be used.

when you say the beeps help you know she's listening... wouldn't an answer do the same thing? i only use siri with 'hey siri', so not sure how else it works.

either way, would be nice to have the option to turn the beeps off. but this is apple; for all the great things they do, they're not much into giving us options...

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012
when you say the beeps help you know she's listening... wouldn't an answer do the same thing? i only use siri with 'hey siri', so not sure how else it works.

either way, would be nice to have the option to turn the beeps off. but this is apple; for all the great things they do, they're not much into giving us options...

When activating siri with the bluetooth in the helmet, there is a short delay (1-2 seconds most of the time) after I press the button that activates it. If I start talking right away, she doesn't hear a word that is said. The delay is short with W1 chip bluetooth devices, but standard bluetooth devices can take a bit of time to activate. This is mostly due to the fact that the bluetooth device usually has multiple functions on the same button, and takes a moment to decipher what command it's given. So I press the button, bluetooth device determines i'm needing voice assistant, and THEN tells the phone to open up siri.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
When activating siri with the bluetooth in the helmet, there is a short delay (1-2 seconds most of the time) after I press the button that activates it. If I start talking right away, she doesn't hear a word that is said. The delay is short with W1 chip bluetooth devices, but standard bluetooth devices can take a bit of time to activate. This is mostly due to the fact that the bluetooth device usually has multiple functions on the same button, and takes a moment to decipher what command it's given. So I press the button, bluetooth device determines i'm needing voice assistant, and THEN tells the phone to open up siri.

ah, got it. still... wish we had the option to turn the beeps off; since i only use 'hey siri' mostly at home, the beeps do nothing but beep!

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012
ah, got it. still... wish we had the option to turn the beeps off; since i only use 'hey siri' mostly at home, the beeps do nothing but beep!

Oh I definitely agree with the need for the option (preferably for both bluetooth and non bluetooth, that way we can get the best in both worlds).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.