Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 28, 2012
I just came across this article:

http://www.macworld.com/article/308...ypes-of-third-party-apps-and-not-spotify.html

One of the reasons I was most excited about the Siri SDK was so that I could finally control my Spotify playlist with Siri. However, this excerpt from the Apple Dev website seems to crush that idea (https://developer.apple.com/library...ts/Conceptual/SiriIntegrationGuide/index.html):

Add SiriKit support only if your app implements one of the following types of services:

• Audio or video calling

• Messaging

• Payments

• Searching photos

• Workouts

• Ride booking

Are these really the only things we'll be able to do with Siri? If I'm understanding all of this incorrectly, please let me know. I'd like to be wrong on this.

ashindnile

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2015
You aren't wrong. That's how it stands as of now. They can always expand with 10.x, most definitely next year, but for now that's all we've got.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Yep pretty disappointing - was hoping I could tell Siri to play songs/albums/playlists on Spotify but music/audio playback isn't one of the domains

In the interview mentioned in a story on the MacRumors homepage, they did say they would work on expanding the domains over time

Fingers crossed for iOS 11 ;)

Reactions: mattoligy

ashindnile

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2015
I think the lack of music player support is a strategic move to ensure the growth of Apple Music.
I would've liked to say play the latest Game of thrones, and it loads HBO Go automatically.. And they don't have a rival for it so I don't think that's the agenda.

Reactions: LordQ

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
The biggest problem to me is Siri doesn't know Siri. I have 5 different Siri's now that should all have different names. Apple NEEDS to make Siri one experience across all devices.

stulaw11

Suspended
Jan 25, 2012
I think this is just the first step to opening it up in the future and they will do it piece by piece. Opening it fully wouldve been a MASSIVE project.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.