Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Reading up on this feature today & am very curious to see if you can assign Google Maps for Nav related commands ie. "take me to" or "where is?"

& whether Google Assistant/Maps can be assigned for phone duties of places not in your contact list ie. "Call >business<..."?

If so, then this could be an effective workaround for IOS users, to make use of the best Google has to offer & turn them into default Apps on the iPhone.

Edit...Oh I just thought of another one - I have the magnificent Harmony App, which can turn on multiple home theatre devices with one button, depending on what I want to do - Watch Pay TV, Play PS3, Stream Music etc.....So I wonder if I can say "Watch Pay TV" & then have the Harmony App open before selecting the button which turns on all the relevant devices??

Last edited:

jagath

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2018
I'm very much interested on Google Maps app with Carplay. Did anyone had a chance to test the new iOS 12 beta? and can confirm it is working or not. I love CarPlay and not a fan of AndroidAuto but Google Maps are sometime useful than apple map.

Reactions: Ralfi

Mac-lover3

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2014
Belgium
I'm very much interested on Google Maps app with Carplay. Did anyone had a chance to test the new iOS 12 beta? and can confirm it is working or not. I love CarPlay and not a fan of AndroidAuto but Google Maps are sometime useful than apple map.
Developers still have to implement it in their app I think.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Oh another Shortcut - I can ask "What's the weather today?" or "Will it rain today?" & instead of Siri opening the default weather App (which is always wrong because it doesn't sync with my local Bureau of Meteorology), I can hopefully set it to open the Weather App I purchased for much more accurate responses!

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
My impression, which could easily be wrong, is that it will allow you to associate a predetermined phrase with a predetermined action. So while you might be able to set up 'Directions home', 'Directions to work', 'Directions to McDonalds' to do those actions in Google Maps, you will have to configure these all individually and can't just do 'Directions to x' and let x be a dynamic phrase that it looks up.

Apple's efforts to integrate third party apps with Siri through natural, dynamic phrases, fall under the 'intents' part of SiriKit, where are currently a limited number of domains - like messaging, calling, etc. That's harder to do than create simple shortcuts.

Reactions: Ralfi
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.