Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
I made a new Siri shortcut on my iPhone on iOS 12. On my iPad I thought the same shortcut would work without me recording the same?

My iPad had iOS 12, and both logged into my Apple ID. Aren't they supposed to sync across, so everything I record on one devine is available on the other?

Thanks

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
From what I am seeing, the recipe will sync, but may in fact require device specific tweaks to have it work properly.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
From testing across 3 devices (one a work issued ipad which i keep semi-sandboxed from a lot of my stuff) it appears the recorded voice commands sync across if the "siri" option is enabled in icloud settings. the shortcuts do not, it is likely that they need icloud drive to be turned on in order to do so (it's on in the two devices that sync perfectly between each other, but not on the 3rd device)

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
From what I am seeing, the recipe will sync, but may in fact require device specific tweaks to have it work properly.

Not sure what that means sorry

From testing across 3 devices (one a work issued ipad which i keep semi-sandboxed from a lot of my stuff) it appears the recorded voice commands sync across if the "siri" option is enabled in icloud settings. the shortcuts do not, it is likely that they need icloud drive to be turned on in order to do so (it's on in the two devices that sync perfectly between each other, but not on the 3rd device)
Not sure what the difference is, I have in iCloud settings Siri enabled that's all is imagine need.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
For example, I have a shortcut to disable my weekday alarm clock. The 'recipe' synced but wouldn't function on my other devices despite having an alarm with the exact same name on those devices.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008

Not sure what the difference is, I have in iCloud settings Siri enabled that's all is imagine need.

That will sync across any voice commands. It won’t allow the movement/syncing of files. I tested it, as said in my original reply.

The one with Siri enabled but iCloud Drive not enabled has custom commands for things like logging drinks in WaterMinder despite not having that app on the iPad. It doesn’t show any of the many Shortcuts that I created on my phone. The iPad with both Siri enabled and iCloud Drive enabled does.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.