Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
I'm probably one of the few people who you could describe as a Siri power user, so the API thing is BIG for me.

However, one thing I noticed when using Siri on iOS 10 once the voice package downloaded is that it sounds...different.

Comparing the voice of Siri on iOS 9 and iOS 10, something about Siri just sounds, higher quality.

The voices are the same, but something on iOS 10 sounds different.

Does anyone else get what I'm saying?

mizxco

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2014
It's the first thing I noticed. Much improved synthesizer.

Too bad the top bar on Map directions is gone. I love tapping it to hear Siri repeat the road guidance.

mizxco

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2014
Voice package downloaded? How do you download it?

It's automatic. When you first install iOS (any version), you get a monotone speech voice.
When connected to Wifi, a voice package is downloaded and you get the natural lively-sounding Samantha.

The enhanced voice package is around 1GB, depending on language.
Each version of iOS improves the voice synthesizer.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
You can also force the download somewhere in Settings > General > Accessibility > VoiceOver> Speech. iOS actually deletes the high-quality voices if it runs out of space. It will load them again once enough space has been freed.

xrevilationx

macrumors member
Feb 29, 2016
It's automatic. When you first install iOS (any version), you can mono boring Siri sound.
When connected to Wifi, the larger voice package is downloaded and you get brilliant sounding voice.

Each version of iOS improves the voice synthesizer.

I've noticed since updating to iOs10 I only get the female Siri voice. I went into Siri settings, and I still have it on the male siri setting. What went wrong?

mizxco

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2014
I've noticed since updating to iOs10 I only get the female Siri voice. I went into Siri settings, and I still have it on the male siri setting. What went wrong?

Perhaps they only have the enhanced Samantha at the moment, others will be ready by GM.

Reactions: xrevilationx

jpg

macrumors regular
May 15, 2009
Yeah she definitely sound a bit different/better.

BTW, I just joked around with Siri a bit. When I asked her what she thought about WWDC she gave some funny answers:

"Developers are so funny. Everytime you say 'API' they jump out of their seats"
"I thought there would be more wrestling."
"Developers are an interesting species. Human-like, but somehow... different."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.