Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DarrenUK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
Southampton, UK
Just updated to iOS 7 (UK), Siri now sounds muffled and not as clear as in iOS 6. Anyone else notice this? I hope apple have a fix soon for this issue.

CaTOAGU

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2008
Manchester, UK
Just updated to iOS 7 (UK), Siri now sounds muffled and not as clear as in iOS 6. Anyone else notice this? I hope apple have a fix soon for this issue.

Once your iPad has been plugged in and left connected to WiFi for a while it should improve, I believe it downloads some extra data for Siri. It improved for me after being left that way overnight. Apples servers are taking a hammering at the moment though so don't give up if that doesn't work straight away.

MasterHowl

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
North of England
Once your iPad has been plugged in and left connected to WiFi for a while it should improve, I believe it downloads some extra data for Siri. It improved for me after being left that way overnight. Apples servers are taking a hammering at the moment though so don't give up if that doesn't work straight away.

I nre hope so!

The new Siri voice was one of the things I was most looking forward to, but the new UK voice is just awful. It sounds like he's got a blocked nose!

CaTOAGU

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2008
Manchester, UK
I nre hope so!

The new Siri voice was one of the things I was most looking forward to, but the new UK voice is just awful. It sounds like he's got a blocked nose!

I know, mine sounded awful at first too, I thought there was something wrong with the speaker but it definitely improved though. Sadly we still only get the male voice in the UK, no female option for us yet.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Yea still sounds like a robot, bit disappointing really. No idea why the new voices are U.S only.

You can select English (US) as a language and use one of the American voices.

Whilst I prefer the voices of the US ones, I prefer the accent of our Siri and the way things are generally said.

For example

Question: "What's the date?"

UK: "It's Wednesday the 18th of September 2013."

US: "It's Wednesday September 18th 2013."

Call me fickle but I find it annoying :p

dmahen

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2013
Siri changed!

In beta 6, I had this amazing sounding Siri, and now in this final version she sounds like a robot! I hope it changes eventually. And yes, I am using English(U.S) :mad:

I

iFanboy

I noticed this on my iPhone 5. Hope it clears up soon :/

CaTOAGU

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2008
Manchester, UK
In beta 6, I had this amazing sounding Siri, and now in this final version she sounds like a robot! I hope it changes eventually. And yes, I am using English(U.S) :mad:

As I said, if the device is left plugged in where there is Wifi it will download extra data and the voice will improve.

Dented

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2009
Thank god I found this thread, I've seriously been thinking my speaker must have been fried or something - the UK voice on my iPhone 5 sounds awful. Oddly it sounds pretty good on my wife's 4S which I've just updated.

Very annoyed we're still stuck with the irritating male voice here - I've never liked him much - I too was looking forward to a female Siri! I've settled on the Australian version for now but unfortunately that preference doesn't get picked up by Maps for some reason, so if you ask for directions you get bumped back to the even more robotic sounding male regardless.

Only real disappointment with ios 7 so far..

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2011
Soooo if we keep our Iphones switched onto wifi, its meant to download extra data for the Siri British voice? Because it seriously sounds like Siri is holding his nose while talking. I have switched Siri to the Canadian female voice while they sort this out.

Dented

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2009
Yep - no idea why but I can confirm that after leaving the phone charging overnight (with a wifi connection) UK Siri sounds normal again - not fancy or new but pretty much the same as before the update, which is an improvement over earlier.

The charging/wifi could of course be coincidence and it just needs some time to sort itself out in the background. I suspect there's a LOT still going on in the back room long after the update itself is finished.

daijholt

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2013
Wales, UK
Thank god I found this thread, I've seriously been thinking my speaker must have been fried or something - the UK voice on my iPhone 5 sounds awful. Oddly it sounds pretty good on my wife's 4S which I've just updated.

Very annoyed we're still stuck with the irritating male voice here - I've never liked him much - I too was looking forward to a female Siri! I've settled on the Australian version for now but unfortunately that preference doesn't get picked up by Maps for some reason, so if you ask for directions you get bumped back to the even more robotic sounding male regardless.

Only real disappointment with ios 7 so far..

Go to settings > general > international

Change language to English (not British English)
Voice control to English (United States)
And region format to United States.

Hey presto, you get female new Siri as your navigation assistant in maps.

Also, as already mentioned, at first you do get low quality Siri even with the American one selected, and it'll downloads high quality files in the background when on wifi, then replaces the low quality ones when it's done.

Not sure if this works for other accents as well though.

easy1355

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2012
I have the same problem! Siri sounds awful! The American one sounds ok (clarity wise)! I DONT WANT AN AMERICAN VOICE!How annoying, hopefully they will fix it soon! This all happened on the upgrade to IOS7

dmahen

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2013
Manually download!

For those of you all that aren't getting the High quality Siri automatically, go to Settings > General > Accessibility > VoiceOver > Languages and Dialects
Pick US
And then flip the switch saying enhanced quality :cool:

Zcott

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2009
Belfast, Ireland
Go to settings > general > international

Change language to English (not British English)
Voice control to English (United States)
And region format to United States.

Hey presto, you get female new Siri as your navigation assistant in maps.

Also, as already mentioned, at first you do get low quality Siri even with the American one selected, and it'll downloads high quality files in the background when on wifi, then replaces the low quality ones when it's done.

Not sure if this works for other accents as well though.

I've been wanting this for over a year. Thank you!

orpheus1120

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2008
Malaysia
For those of you all that aren't getting the High quality Siri automatically, go to Settings > General > Accessibility > VoiceOver > Languages and Dialects
Pick US
And then flip the switch saying enhanced quality :cool:

Well now that really worked well.

Good tip.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.