Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
MA
I have a full size HomePod in the living room. I mainly use it to turn the lights on and off along with playing music. A few days ago I was watching a video that included someone saying "Hey Siri". After that, I've found she speaks to me in a different language most of the time when I ask to turn the lights on and off. I believe she says - Ok dun. Unlogen. Then the lights don't go on or off.

It seems like that is the only time this happens. She speaks English all the other times. This is strange...

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I have a full size HomePod in the living room. I mainly use it to turn the lights on and off along with playing music. A few days ago I was watching a video that included someone saying "Hey Siri". After that, I've found she speaks to me in a different language most of the time when I ask to turn the lights on and off. I believe she says - Ok dun. Unlogen. Then the lights don't go on or off.

It seems like that is the only time this happens. She speaks English all the other times. This is strange...
That is strange but if you don’t already, enable voice recognition so Siri won’t complete tasks from outside sources, like a TV.

Also, have you tried rebooting the HomePod?

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
MA
That is strange but if you don’t already, enable voice recognition so Siri won’t complete tasks from outside sources, like a TV.

Also, have you tried rebooting the HomePod?

I see Reset. I haven’t tried that. I believe that restores factory setting?

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
MA
No if you hit it, it should give the option to just restart it. Or you can also unplug and plug it back in.

I unplugged it overnight because Siri wouldn’t turn the lights off. That didn’t help. Something else is I was setting up bulbs with the PlusMinus app and trying to connect them to Siri. I couldn’t get that to work, can only control them through the app but it happened at the same time.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I unplugged it overnight because Siri wouldn’t turn the lights off. That didn’t help. Something else is I was setting up bulbs with the PlusMinus app and trying to connect them to Siri. I couldn’t get that to work, can only control them through the app but it happened at the same time.
Siri wouldn’t turn the lights off? Welcome to Siri lol. She’s been a nightmare for many many years.

w5jck

Suspended
Nov 9, 2013
Yep, Siri sucks. She is really dumb!

You might check and see if there is an update for the Homepod. I just installed one on my HomePod mini. That might help.

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
MA
I did the HomePod update last night. Checked the lights a few minutes ago. I still get the reply Ok dun. Unlogen when I asked Siri to turn the lights on. But... she will turn them on if I say "Turn the living room lights on". I didn't have to say that before. I just said "Turn the lights on". That foreign language reply gets me.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
if I say "Turn the living room lights on". I didn't have to say that before. I just said "Turn the lights on".

if you don't specify a room in the command, the default is to control the lights in the room the HomePod is assigned to. Since she used to know she was in the living room, and now it appears she doesn't, sounds like other stuff is wonky too.

you might also try rebooting your router, Not sure it will help, but it sometimes helps with odd HomePod behavior.

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
MA
if you don't specify a room in the command, the default is to control the lights in the room the HomePod is assigned to. Since she used to know she was in the living room, and now it appears she doesn't, sounds like other stuff is wonky too.

you might also try rebooting your router, Not sure it will help, but it sometimes helps with odd HomePod behavior.

The HomePod is in the living room. It used to work fine when I said turn. the lights on or off. I’m starting to adapt now.

BotchQue

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2019
I disconnected all the home stuff. About a month ago I accidentally said "Alexa, turn off the lights" and Siri immediately locked all my doors and windows, and turned my thermostat up to 95˚. I had to break a single-pane window in the basement to escape, and Siri had already called the cops so it was a very disrupted evening.

• Haha
Reactions: sorgo †

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I disconnected all the home stuff. About a month ago I accidentally said "Alexa, turn off the lights" and Siri immediately locked all my doors and windows, and turned my thermostat up to 95˚. I had to break a single-pane window in the basement to escape, and Siri had already called the cops so it was a very disrupted evening.
Not a bad automation idea! I’d take it a step further and have a fart spray misting the house in every room, at five minute intervals.

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
MA
My girlfriend brought her Alexa over. It's set up in our bedroom. We tried to get her and Siri to communicate but they act like jealous girlfriends. No communication at all :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.