Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mrsamiam

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2011
Siri worked flawlessly all morning until I got off work at 4:30 est and now I keep getting random connection messages and extreme slowness for Siri to respond. I think it's just the sheer volume of people playing with it when they got off work. Hopefully it will work its self out.

bleomycin

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
Mine literally hasn't worked once since i've had it. Not once. No matter what all she says is "Uh oh, i've encountered a problem" or "I can't seem to access the network."

This is actually encouraging to me, i'm also having this problem now. Hopefully it's a sign they're working on correcting an issue. And thanks for the suggestion however US English was already selected.

bruleke

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2009
I expected that from Siri.

Voice recognition is something that work with some people and with other just won't.

Seems like some people don't have the 'right' pinch/voice for the recognition.

Since IBM via voice (90's) I've been trying to use softwares like Siri is nowadays.

These softwares always recognize 50-60% of what you say.

Write this: you WILL leave Siri after some frustrations and you WILL get frustraded. Someday you will just say: "oh ******** this! I will type down"

Lee Adama

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2011
California
This is actually encouraging to me, i'm also having this problem now. Hopefully it's a sign they're working on correcting an issue. And thanks for the suggestion however US English was already selected.

sounds like you need to make an appointment with a Genius at the Apple store.
If it's hardware related, they'll swap phones. If it's software related, try a restore as new phone.

bleomycin

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
sounds like you need to make an appointment with a Genius at the Apple store.
If it's hardware related, they'll swap phones. If it's software related, try a restore as new phone.

This doesn't seem very likely as 2 brand new phones are experiencing the exact same problems.

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
My friend and I received our iphone 4s's today and i finally got mine activated on crappy AT&T after hours of trying. Long story short, Siri seems to be completely useless and i wanted to see if others are also experiencing problems. Asking siri extremely simple things such as "Text Pat" do not work reliably. It will either screw it up completely giving "ex Pat" as it's response, or it will just say sorry i didn't understand you. Neither of us have any type of accent or speech impediment. We are both testing in a quiet room with little to no background noise.

The reason i'm so confused is i've seen plenty of videos of this working far better in very noisy environments. Could this perhaps be an issue with apple server load? It would be great to hear other's experiences so far, I didn't expect Siri to be amazing but i did expect to be able to dictate extremely basic text messages which it is failing at completely, we are both extremely disappointed.

Welcome to Macrumors by the way.

Zerase

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2009
New York
I expected that from Siri.

Voice recognition is something that work with some people and with other just won't.

Seems like some people don't have the 'right' pinch/voice for the recognition.

Since IBM via voice (90's) I've been trying to use softwares like Siri is nowadays.

These softwares always recognize 50-60% of what you say.

Write this: you WILL leave Siri after some frustrations and you WILL get frustraded. Someday you will just say: "oh ******** this! I will type down"

I currently have my mother, sister in law and boyfriend here - Siri doesn't work for any of us.

utekineir

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2008
Wow there are some childish people on this forum, what does this add to the discussion? Are you taking the fact i'm having an issue with an apple product personally? This is mind blowing.

No, but the fact that your impression of peoples suggestions such as talking clearer as negative criticism, and interpreting my blatant troll comment as a personal insult leads me to wonder if english is your first language and if it is not perhaps that is an underlying cause of your dictation issues.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
I currently have my mother, sister in law and boyfriend here - Siri doesn't work for any of us.

Are you in a quiet room? I've noticed that if there is any background noise or talking Siri has trouble figuring out what I'm saying. When I'm in a quiet room it works every time and understands exactly what I say.

My brother-in-law has an EVO and there are some words that it can never understand him say. For example, if he says "misery" the EVO thinks he said "Missouri." He tried my iPhone and Siri got it right.

y2flyy

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2009
I was having a lot of issues with Siri as well. Actually pretty disappointing thinking this Siri is pretty lame.

Then I started talking in a deeper voice, and it works much better for some reason.

jsh1120

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2011
Wow there are some childish people on this forum, what does this add to the discussion? Are you taking the fact i'm having an issue with an apple product personally? This is mind blowing.

Sorry, buddy. You made the error of using the "A" word. That tends to prompt infantile responses from some posters.

Don't have the new iPhone and the iPad doesn't have Siri. I have, however, had experience with voice commands in that (unnamed) other environment. I suspect that you (and others) may be experiencing (a) the effects of massive server load, something that is very difficult to simulate in QA testing and/or (b) quality issues with your data transmission service.

Not much you can do about the former until things quiet down on the new toy front but you might try using Siri from various locations to see if better quality transmission of your voice makes a difference.

P.S. And if you're from SoCal, you certainly have an accent; everyone does. But it's an accent that Apple has certainly accommodated in Siri or it would never have made it out of NorCal.

Doctorfirepants

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2011
Sorry to hear about those of you having troubles. I have been testing siri out throughout the day and it has been working excellent for me. I tried testing out several different phrases and even some of the easter egg type ones that I have seen on various reviews and have had no problem with it. Im using the verizon network. I hope all of you get it straightened out.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
No luck here... disappointing, but hopefully will get better. It can't get any worse.

Lee Adama

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2011
California
This doesn't seem very likely as 2 brand new phones are experiencing the exact same problems.

hardware/software issues appearing on multiple phones is not unheard of. Factories make mistakes. Anything could happen.

Not knowing your level of expertise, but If you need help on restoring as new phone, you can PM me and I'll be happy to help with that and answer any other questions.

StanSmith

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
Ecosse
hardware/software issues appearing on multiple phones is not unheard of. Factories make mistakes. Anything could happen.

Not knowing your level of expertise, but If you need help on restoring as new phone, you can PM me and I'll be happy to help with that and answer any other questions.

Very true and its a strong chance that both devices came from one batch so it could be a faulty batch.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
So i take it no one else is having problems? If it was just me fine, maybe i just suck at talking (not likely), but my friend is having issues as well. As a side note the voice recognition in WP7 worked perfectly for both of us, android as well. I've been using computer voice recognition software since the original dragon natural speaking/ibm via voice so i'm not completely clueless about how to speak correctly when talking to a piece of software. I really hope this is a server load issue, i'm beginning to think it is as siri is now giving me server connection issues when attempting to use it.

Speech Therapy. ;)

CSpackler

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
On a plane
I'm an opera singer. Most people I meet who are not singers or actors have terrible vocal production. Try these tips.

Make sure you breathe deep (like a yoga breath, but not too deep), relax and enunciate a bit. Hold the position of inhalation while you speak if you want to get real fancy. Don't try to place the sound in a specific part of your face or throat, just let it be.

This should help Siri understand you better. Also now you can sing opera.

salesguy

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2009
Anyone else having an issue with their lock sounds/clicks going up to max after using Siri? It is rather annoying to always have to adjust it back down. Other than that it has been working pretty good.

Jamooche

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2011
I finally got my 4S activated an have been trying to get it to call my girlfriend for the past 10 minutes. It says back her name perfectly, but spells her last name with only one t instead of two and then tells me there's a problem.

Pretty useless feature if you ask me. I did get the weather to come up, but it's A LOT slower than doing it by pushing the touchscreen and doing it the old way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.