Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Devil Dog 21

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2011
Kansas City
Siri has been exactly what I'm looking for in my interaction with a phone. I sold my Galaxy S2 and just got the 4s and have no regrets. Not sure why people have trouble with Siri, but then again I speak clear understandable english.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
Siri has been exactly what I'm looking for in my interaction with a phone. I sold my Galaxy S2 and just got the 4s and have no regrets. Not sure why people have trouble with Siri, but then again I speak clear understandable english.

Works great for me too, most of the time. I have had a couple of times where "she" was unable to assist (servers down?).

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
I find this pretty offensive, i cam here to ask if others are having issues, did my best to explain the problem *exactly* and everyone is jumping on the troll bandwagon? Am i not even allowed to ask if others are having issues without being labeled a troll? The only reason i listed that wp7/android are working is because they ARE and because instead of others chiming in with something helpful they immediately began attacking me with meme's and the assumption that i cannot even speak the language. If you're not interested in having an actual discussion about what appears to be a legitimate issue why bother posting at all.
You are not allowed, in any way, to taint the great and seductive power of the Siri. You have to understand there's thousands and thousands of teenage boys creaming themselves over Siri, so you just cannot go there.

zatoichi101

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2011
I would agree Siri is far from perfect but unfortunately you're using Siri like a simple voice dial feature when Siri is a little more intelligent than that. Like NotAdvisable said, you should just create one contact for your father with all his contact numbers. I have my brother set up with four contact numbers. If I want to call him, I can tell Siri to call my brother, and Siri will ask which of the four numbers to use. It will ask whether to call his home, or work, or Google Voice, or iPhone number. If I want to be more specific, I can tell Siri to call my brother at his <specified> number.

Unfortunately, the same problem happens with other contacts as well -- contacts with all numbers under the same name. I say, "Call Tom XX mobile," and Siri asks, "Which number? Tom XX Mobile, Tom XXX Home, Tom XXX work." I say "Tom XX Mobile" And she repeats the same questions. I try saying simply "Mobile" -- and she repeats her questions. I am force to actually grab my cell phone and manually CLICK on the Mobile number for Tom XX. This completely voids the purpose of having a hands free, voice dial in the car.

ALSO -- time and again, Siri comes back with, "I am sorry, I cannot perform any function at this time. Please try again later." What the heck is THAT about?!

I switched from Blackberry because Blackberry's web access was horrible. But I do miss the simple things that Blackberry did very well -- email (Blackberry keyboard is better -- at least to me), and voice dialing. (Siri has an unusually long delay ... on top of everything else.)

So far, I am not impressed at all by Siri.

Is there anyway to TRAIN Siri?

malincal

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2011
Siri Sucks here too

I've also switched from the BB and agree that the web browsing was terrible on that device.

But with the iPhone, simple thinks like using voice commands to dial a number is down right frustrating. Either it can't access the network, the servers are too busy or it doesn't understand the command. I'd say that my success rate voice dialing on the iPhone is only 60% on the iPhone; with the BB i was running about 95% accuracy. I heard that future versions of SIRI will have functionality split up so that stuff like dialing a number will reside locally on the phone and stuff like What is the meaning of life? will require a network connection. Hope that's available soon.

BTW, I'm on Verizon in Southern CA. At this point, I love my iPhone as a toy, but hate it as a phone.

Vapor matt

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2010
UK
the best thing for siri is to switch it off! crap app! and lets not forget thats what it was an app.

Ai my arse!

dnathan

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2011
Siri is a complete joke. It was a gimmick to sell phones. It doesn't work. Verizon is laughing its way to the bank.

BugBytes

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2011
AI can't be perfect- at least not yet. If you have a problem with Siri, switch it off, and for the rest of us who think it's great, than we can use it. Has any other company made something like Siri that was (or is) better than Siri? If not, than this is the best you're getting ATM, so no need to complain about it. If there is something better, than switch to it. No one is requiring you to use Siri, and people got along just fine without it before it was released. If you can't stand it that much, than simply don't use it. Siri wasn't the only new feature of the 4S.

teacheranne

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2012
It is a user interface error

Siri could have stopped working for a number of reasons....check that you are not in airport mode, also some wifi's restrict your ports ie a work wifi might have a firewall up that stops Siri from using a certain port. To fix the issue go to settings and turn airport mode off, if it already is, then connect to the internet using your data plan (if you have availability~I'm not suggestion you use more than your contract allows). Or go to a coffee shop wifi and try again! Good Luck!

Jare

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2010
Canada
My friend and I received our iphone 4s's today and i finally got mine activated on crappy AT&T after hours of trying. Long story short, Siri seems to be completely useless and i wanted to see if others are also experiencing problems. Asking siri extremely simple things such as "Text Pat" do not work reliably. It will either screw it up completely giving "ex Pat" as it's response, or it will just say sorry i didn't understand you. Neither of us have any type of accent or speech impediment. We are both testing in a quiet room with little to no background noise.

The reason i'm so confused is i've seen plenty of videos of this working far better in very noisy environments. Could this perhaps be an issue with apple server load? It would be great to hear other's experiences so far, I didn't expect Siri to be amazing but i did expect to be able to dictate extremely basic text messages which it is failing at completely, we are both extremely disappointed.

My friend and I posted on this thread today and i finally got mine approved on MacRumors after hours of trying. Long story short, this thread seems to be completely useless and i wanted to see if others are also noticing this.. Asking members extremely simple things such as "Search MacRumors" does not work reliably. They screw it up completely by saying "No thanks" as a response, or they will just say sorry i didn't understand you. Neither of us have any type of accent or speech impediment. We are both posting in a quiet room with little to no background noise.

The reason i'm so confused is i've seen plenty of threads like this working far better on other forums. Could this perhaps be an issue with MacRumors itself? It would be great to hear other's experiences so far, I didn't expect this thread to be amazing but i did expect to be able to see a real contribution to the forums by this member which he is failing at completely, we are both extremely disappointed.

:D

Last edited:

Capitalis

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2012
Yeah, in my experience, Siri is not very impressive at all. It's slower than the old voice command and is worse at recognizing my contacts for a simple phone call. It won't read text messages to me (unless I do change the way my texts are previewed) and often greets me with the "I'm sorry, I can't help you with that" or whatever that message is.

Sometimes, when asking it to find a phone number for a place, etc. you have to actually click on the selection in the list for it to make the call. What is the point of that? It's also really slow.

So, after being frustrated too many times, I just don't even use it anymore. I still like my 4s for the camera - which is really why I got it - but can't think of any reason why it's better than the 4.

Richardgm

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
Everyone has an accent. The problem is Apple hasn't taken into account all accents of the English language. I am Jamaican, I speak in English, but 70% of the time Siri doesn't understand exactly what I say.

It's not perfect, hopefully Siri learns, as Apple says it should.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
I think those that are disappointed with Siri need to recognize that there are times when humans speaking the same language cannot understand each other. For instance, ever talk to somebody from Glasgow?

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
Everyone has an accent. The problem is Apple hasn't taken into account all accents of the English language. I am Jamaican, I speak in English, but 70% of the time Siri doesn't understand exactly what I say.

It's not perfect, hopefully Siri learns, as Apple says it should.

Has Apple ever said on record that Siri's voice recognition would "learn"?

I believe they've said that it's natural language processing will "learn" in order to give back better search results, but if the thing doesn't understand the words that make up the sentence correctly in the first place then it's really very questionable it will get better in the forseeable. I don't think Apple has ever claimed otherwise.

Phazer

----------

I think those that are disappointed with Siri need to recognize that there are times when humans speaking the same language cannot understand each other. For instance, ever talk to somebody from Glasgow?

Yes, but if someone you spoke to everyday for five months didn't understand a word you said with no sign of improvement, you'd probably stop speaking to that person.

You'd never claim that situation made your life easier or was quicker than typing, which is what Siri is supposed to do.

Phazer

hchavarria

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2008
So you do have an accent :rolleyes:

I've never really had any luck with any voice recognition software however Siri has been great to me. Understands my requests and performs better than expected. I have however had at times Siri say it couldn't accept requests at that time but they have been minimal. The issue is with Siri requiring data connectivity to do local queries such as contacts, I have Sprint and their data isn't the best which accounts for the times Siri has been unavailable.

OneOkami

Nov 8, 2011
I have to say Siri has exceeded my expectations (maybe they were just low to begin with?) Far more often than not she has understood what I said and has been able to effectively respond. It could be that my requests of her have not been as ambitious as those of you who think she sucks, but she's been great for what I've wanted from her.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
It could be that my requests of her have not been as ambitious as those of you who think she sucks, but she's been great for what I've wanted from her.

If I ask Siri to play a song on my phone it tries to ring an international phone number 4 times out of ten.

I don't think I'd risk anything more ambitious given that.

Phazer

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Siri being a new feature which involves a very complex technology, it's bound to take time to sort out. In the next year or so it's bound to become a lot better.

Richardgm

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
Has Apple ever said on record that Siri's voice recognition would "learn"?

I believe they've said that it's natural language processing will "learn" in order to give back better search results, but if the thing doesn't understand the words that make up the sentence correctly in the first place then it's really very questionable it will get better in the forseeable. I don't think Apple has ever claimed otherwise.

Phazer

Does Siri work out of the box, or do I have to teach it?

Siri works right out of the box, without any work on your part. And the more you use Siri, the better it will understand you. It does this by learning about your accent and other characteristics of your voice. Siri uses voice recognition algorithms to categorize your voice into one of the dialects or accents it understands. As more people use Siri and it’s exposed to more variations of a language, its overall recognition of dialects and accents will continue to improve, and Siri will work even better.

- http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/siri-faq.html

That's what I read once and interpreted it to mean that over time it will learn.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
- http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/siri-faq.html

That's what I read once and interpreted it to mean that over time it will learn.

Fair enough, they have said that.

Anyone think it's actually happened?

Anyone understand how it possibly *could* happen? After all, Apple's server has no idea about how much Siri gets wrong, since there's no big "stop, that's incorrect you stupid thing" button to press.

Phazer

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.