Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I have the Google app since 2008. I have the latest version.

What does voice recognition on the Google app do besides voice search?

I never disputed that the app is limited...it's limited in its API.... But it understands natural language much the way Siri does but I argue it does a better job doing so from an interface standpoint. For one, it understands you so much quicker on a lot of cases. Second, it speaks out the results for you, as opposed to just showing the relevant data sheet.

Here's a condensed video showing such
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?featur...ch?v=Ux5uALLS078&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Last edited:

mankar4

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2007
USA
IMO Google voice control on android is far beyond siri in terms of functionality and ease of use with regard to understanding speech, requests and commands. Go to an ATT store and try a Jelly Bean phone and an Iphone. Siri is easier to access though with the single long press. Of course, the google voice search app on ios is limited compared to siri.

Brazuca

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2003
Typical Apple apologist.

I'm well aware that Google Search doesn't understand commands. What I'm saying is, they should integrate it into Siri.

Google would never let this happen. They want to beat iOS, not help it. They are all about android. If you thnk that Apple and google will cooperate, you are living in 2009. Those days are over. Google isn't some nice company that doesn't do evil. They are the same as Apple, Facebook, Amazon, Microsoft, etc. they all want your information to use it somehow.

Right now Apple makes its money from hardware sales, so it's not so good at getting and using your data. Not nearly as much as FB, Amazon, google. They are getting there by leveraging iTunes, but google has a lot more info. And with google now, they will have so much info on you that thievery concept of privacy is obsolete.

All of these companies are looking to trade on our info to sell ads. Apple less so for now. But the biggest is google. By far.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
The google app only does voice search.
Siri does voice commands including voice search.

----------

Dude. How come Google voice search doesn't work right.

My test:

"Get directions to Empire State Building."

Google shows directions to Empire State Building.

"Get directions to CVS."

Google searches the web for "get directions to CVS".

"Get directions to starbucks"

Google searches the web for "get directions to Starbucks".

No, Google does not understand language well.

Oka that video was a perfect example on what I'm meaning. Maybe your phone is broken?

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
Oka that video was a perfect example on what I'm meaning. Maybe your phone is broken?

My phone is broken? Hah.. test it on my phone and iPad. Google is broken.

That video? That video was a perfect example of Gizmodo not understand the difference between voice searches and voice commands.

Siri: voice commands
Google app: voice search

"Hurricane Sandy damage photos" is a search term, not natural language. Of course it works on Google app and not Siri. Google app only does search.

With Siri, you issue commands or ask questions.

If you want to search the web for "Hurricane Sandy damage photos", you say

"Search the web for Hurricane Sandy damage photos"

Because that's natural language and not some basic search term.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.