Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jparker402

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2016
Bellevue, NE
After installing ios9 on my iPhone 5C, SIRI became incapable of identifying music (largely classical), to the point that I finally gave up trying. SIRI had been able to identify music, composers and symphonys on ios8. Installed ios 10 several days ago, and tried again. Nothing has improved. SIRI does not even try. Typical response is "I don't know that." Believe I will next explore how to delete SIRI from the iPhone.

hellopupy

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2016
Los Angeles
My experience/experiment with Siri

Command - "Siri open the iTunes application and play the song XXXXX"

Siri registers the command as given and consistent repeat commands show different results;

Scenario 1 : Open the App Play the song successfully
Scenario 2 : Open the App and play completely different songs

It doesn't make sense for Siri to register the same command and have different results. This doesn't even mean Siri isn't intuitive, this means that Siri does not function properly. Intuitive would mean that Siri can take a mixture of inconsistent commands and understand the general desire and achieve the desired result most of the time.

Heavy Fluid

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2008
Download Shazam and be done with Siri for music identification. I have found little use for Siri, especially after coming over from Android where OK Google works almost flawlessly.

Ryanclbryant

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2014
Montréal, QC, Canada
I suspect OP is saying Siri doesn't recognize the song title they are asking Siri to play - not a shazam-style music recognition.
That said, I have always had this issue, if anything from iOS 8 to 9 to 10 it has been vastly improved, however. It used to happen fairly regularly with 8, but now with 10 it happens rarely for me.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
After installing ios9 on my iPhone 5C, SIRI became incapable of identifying music (largely classical), to the point that I finally gave up trying. SIRI had been able to identify music, composers and symphonys on ios8. Installed ios 10 several days ago, and tried again. Nothing has improved. SIRI does not even try. Typical response is "I don't know that." Believe I will next explore how to delete SIRI from the iPhone.

I suspect OP is saying Siri doesn't recognize the song title they are asking Siri to play - not a shazam-style music recognition.
That said, I have always had this issue, if anything from iOS 8 to 9 to 10 it has been vastly improved, however. It used to happen fairly regularly with 8, but now with 10 it happens rarely for me.
I guess that depends on what "identifying music" actually means in this particular case, as it could potentially be interpreted either way as far as what it might be relating to.

jparker402

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2016
Bellevue, NE
By identifying music, what I mean is that when I ask "what music is this?" I expect to hear Piano Symphony by Edvard Grieg. Seems like I tried Shazam with no luck. I remember one app I tried (maybe Shazam) promptly sent me to a site that sold music; not what I was looking for. For those of you having luck with Siri, am I phrasing the question to Siri wrong? And I, too, have no idea what "manual" is.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
By identifying music, what I mean is that when I ask "what music is this?" I expect to hear Piano Symphony by Edvard Grieg. Seems like I tried Shazam with no luck. I remember one app I tried (maybe Shazam) promptly sent me to a site that sold music; not what I was looking for. For those of you having luck with Siri, am I phrasing the question to Siri wrong? And I, too, have no idea what "manual" is.
You can also try SoundHound if Siri and Shazam aren't working out.

Reactions: willmtaylor

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
You need to ask "What song is this". I know it is not a song you are asking about but Apple (like most people) don't seem to know the difference between a song and music.

EDIT: Just for kicks I tried a fairly obscure Mozart Horn duo and Siri/Shazam identified the piece correctly. However it does offer the incorrect artist which seems almost pointless to suggest.

IMG_1367_zps4cjggitk.jpg

Last edited:

Reno Raines

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2015
When I use Siri on my se before I even have time to speak to give it a command it says it cannot understand me. I then have to reactivity it to use it then. I am on iOS 10.1 beta but it this even before I went to the beta. I just anticipate it and move on now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.