Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NavySEAL6

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 13, 2006
So, I just realized Apple has removed "raise to talk" for Siri. I think that was a mistake but we can save that for another thread.

Now how can you use Siri through the ear piece rather than speakerphone. Is it still possible?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I used a bluetooth ear piece last night (as a very brief test) and asked Siri to play a certain iTunes radio station. Siri responded through the ear piece and turned the station on, but the music started going through the phone instead of the ear piece. The ear piece I have is about 4 years old and isn't capable of having music played through it in that fashion.

gglittle

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2012
So, I just realized Apple has removed "raise to talk" for Siri. I think that was a mistake but we can save that for another thread.

Now how can you use Siri through the ear piece rather than speakerphone. Is it still possible?

Hold the push button on the ear pods till you hear the beep.

NavySEAL6

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 13, 2006
Hold the push button on the ear pods till you hear the beep.

Thanks for your response. I do know that you can use Siri with headphones, but I'm looking to use Siri on the iPhone ear piece, as if I'm making a phone call. Raise to talk allowed this but it seems this has been eliminated.

gglittle

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2012
Thanks for your response. I do know that you can use Siri with headphones, but I'm looking to use Siri on the iPhone ear piece, as if I'm making a phone call. Raise to talk allowed this but it seems this has been eliminated.

The ear pods work great for me, by simply holding the button on the right ear pod and telling Siri what to do after I hear the beep. When battery cases are available, such as Mophie, you will be able to say "Hey Siri" if the phone is being charged from the case.

Last edited:

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014

Launch siri and put the phone up to your ear. Should transfer the sound to the earpiece.

Actually, I just tried it, it's quite weird, works sometimes but sometimes it doesn't transfer... might just be my phone or maybe I'm not sure how to hold ehh.

Try that and see if it works.

NavySEAL6

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 13, 2006
Launch siri and put the phone up to your ear. Should transfer the sound to the earpiece.

Actually, I just tried it, it's quite weird, works sometimes but sometimes it doesn't transfer... might just be my phone or maybe I'm not sure how to hold ehh.

Try that and see if it works.

I tried that and Siri doesn't respond until I move the phone away from my ear. Maybe that's a feature meant to be but its a bug?

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
It was removed because of being able to listen to voice imessages by raising your phone. It's been replaced with Hey, Siri.

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
I tried that and Siri doesn't respond until I move the phone away from my ear. Maybe that's a feature meant to be but its a bug?

I've gotten Siri to speak through the earpiece in iOS 8 but I can't seem to replicate it or figure how to get it to do it again.

EDIT:

Got it. Wait for the beep then put it up to your ear... then wait a minute, its buggy but it works sometimes.

NavySEAL6

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 13, 2006
I've gotten Siri to speak through the earpiece in iOS 8 but I can't seem to replicate it or figure how to get it to do it again.

EDIT:

Got it. Wait for the beep then put it up to your ear... then wait a minute, its buggy but it works sometimes.

I can't get it to work. I press the button then I put it to my ear and say something. It doesn't do anything until I take it away, then it beeps again and she answers the question I asked when I put it up to my ear. Siri only responds via speakerphone

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
I can't get it to work. I press the button then I put it to my ear and say something. It doesn't do anything until I take it away, then it beeps again and she answers the question I asked when I put it up to my ear. Siri only responds via speakerphone

Try tricking it by removing it from your ear and quickly back.

fedux

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2013

I would like to give a "fresh start" to this old thread... Problem has become worst than ever with ios 10. Now it's even impossible to start Siri and talk "privately" to "her" while recording an appointment or anything else... You must make everyone around you aware of what Siri has to tell... Really a shame!

I think Apple is too focused on stickers and emoji to care about Pro customers...

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I would like to give a "fresh start" to this old thread... Problem has become worst than ever with ios 10. Now it's even impossible to start Siri and talk "privately" to "her" while recording an appointment or anything else... You must make everyone around you aware of what Siri has to tell... Really a shame!

I think Apple is too focused on stickers and emoji to care about Pro customers...
You can lower Siri's volume to the point that it's muted, as I recall.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I wouldn't call that a solution...
We had a beautiful feature, they ruined it...
Not a solution, but a workaround of sorts if it really comes down to not letting Siri speak out loud.

That aside, using headphones or a bluetooth headset would keep Siri's responses private. There's also a related setting under Settings > Siri > Voice Feedback that can be of some use.

fedux

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2013
Not a solution, but a workaround of sorts if it really comes down to not letting Siri speak out loud.

That aside, using headphones or a bluetooth headset would keep Siri's responses private. There's also a related setting under Settings > Siri > Voice Feedback that can be of some use.

I know... But what's the point in having to use/add other devices...
I own iPhone since the first one in 2007 and I really can't understand how they managed to completely ruin the Music (iPod) App and the "Raise to speak" function for Siri...!
You still can use it for sending vocal messages... Why can't we choose! Vocal messages if you are a teenager and need also stickers and emoji and the "old way iphone" if you always used it as a work device!

I'm not complaining with you personally :), You're very kind to answer me and try to provide some good advices, but lately i'm a little bit disappointed in how Apple is evolving...

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I know... But what's the point in having to use/add other devices...
I own iPhone since the first one in 2007 and I really can't understand how they managed to completely ruin the Music (iPod) App and the "Raise to speak" function for Siri...!
You still can use it for sending vocal messages... Why can't we choose! Vocal messages if you are a teenager and need also stickers and emoji and the "old way iphone" if you always used it as a work device!

I'm not complaining with you personally :), You're very kind to answer me and try to provide some good advices, but lately i'm a little bit disappointed in how Apple is evolving...
Got it. Not so much about how to use Siri quietly, but more about that it still sucks that a feature related to that was removed some years ago.

Reactions: fedux
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.