Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pod5g

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2013
Siri vs Google Now

Siri system requirements- iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPod touch 5G, iPad (3rd generation)- iOS 6 or later, iPad (4th generation), iPad mini

Google Now system requirements-
Android - OS 4.1 (Jellybean) or later
iOS- iOS 5 or later (iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPod touch 3G, iPod touch 4G, iPod touch 5G, all iPads

Pros of Siri over Google Now-
iOS integration
Great productivity (reminders, appointments, etc. )
Witty

Pros of Google Now over Siri-
Android integration, available on iOS too
Knows what the user needs without the user asking, less effort on the user's part
Faster and better at finding information
Better speech recognition
Displays words as they are spoken
Oldest compatible device (iOS) 4 years old, 2 years older than the oldest Siri compatible device

Siri score- 8.5/10
Google Now score- 9/10

Google Now is the better voice assistant, at least in my opinion.

ParagJain

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
And google's services are lot faster and more accurate than Siri for countries outside USA, UK ..

In India, siri honestly is useless except asking to read messages when driving, reply/compose sms and yes, asking "Will I need a umbrella tonight"

Funny thing, before siri, iphone had voice controls that allowed to select address book contacts and make calls or play songs/albums..

even that got slower with siri and doesn't work if data network is not available.

pod5g

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2013
And google's services are lot faster and more accurate than Siri for countries outside USA, UK ..

In India, siri honestly is useless except asking to read messages when driving, reply/compose sms and yes, asking "Will I need a umbrella tonight"

Funny thing, before siri, iphone had voice controls that allowed to select address book contacts and make calls or play songs/albums..

even that got slower with siri and doesn't work if data network is not available.

Go to Settings > General > Siri and turn it off. Holding down the home button should bring up Voice Control now, which will allow you to make calls, play songs, etc. without an Internet connection.

beaniemyman

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2013
yep, google now is way better at finding info from the web, great voice assisstant.
but google now is causing battery drainage on many iphones (including mine).

Todd B.

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2013
Meh, Google Now is a novelty. It was cute for about an hour but then I haven't opened it since.

The voice search is terrible too; I spent a good five minutes trying to use it and having it come back completely wrong every time.

Google Now is also useless if you're smart enough to not use a Google account.

Anthonyjoel

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2013
I much rather Siri. It's better at recognizing requests to send SMS and reminders. Also it understands requests in simple everyday language better than Google Now IMO. Bonus points for wittyness.

AppleCruncher

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2013
siri and doesn't work if data network is not available.

This....what a PITA. Some commands should be local and fast. Simple things like call home or call my wife should not need a data connection.

Location based reminders is awesome though. Google Now needs to step it up on that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.