Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
That's because Siri is an useless gimmick perpetually stuck in beta. The fact it STILL requires internet access to set reminders, while you can perfectly set reminders yourself while off-line, is all the proof you need that Apple really couldn't care less.

Siri was used as the gimmick of choice to sell one iPhone generation. Now that Apple is focusing on newer gimmicks for newer models, don't expect any improvement any time soon.

I use Siri all the time to set reminders and timers with no issue. I also use it in the car to send messages without picking up my phone.

Think it's a gimmic? Turn it off then and go back to the prehistoric voice control that came with the iphone 3GS.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
I asked Siri "How did the stock market in Japan do today?" Then I asked Siri how the stock market did in Hong Kong. Last I asked Siri how the market did in Japan and once more asking Siri how the market did in Hong Kong. I got this from Siri... :roll eyes: It sends me how the markets in Taiwan did lol..

Attachments

• IMG_0024.jpg
    IMG_0024.jpg
    373.8 KB · Views: 252

GaresTaylan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2009
I agree that after all this time I feel like Siri should be further along. I don't think Google Now is perfect either, but I do feel it is superior. I'm sure Im in the minority here but with the little interaction Ive had with Cortana on WP I feel it is actually the superior of the 3 assistants.

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
Still waiting for it to speak Swedish. Come Apple, how hard can it be?

nouveau-apple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2014
when siri first came out it was understandable that it was far from perfect because naturally it would need some training to get better, but now siri has been out for years and it's still half retarded. For example, I asked "Where's the nearest Apple store?" and she replied "Big Apple Fruit Store is 1.5 miles away." Seriously?

I use Siri several times a day and I'm glad to have the functionality available, but after years of training it really should be better than it is at this point. At the very least they should put a clickable button on the Siri response page that says "this result was not what I wanted" so that Siri and the programmers learn what areas they need to work on improving.

they're not even working on it. microsoft actually has done it better. cortana sounds better, looks better, and performs better.

meanwhile siri still saying the same thing from 2008. smh

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
There was a top story post here or 9to5 a while back stating apple was looking to bring Siri in house as of now I believe we have an agreement for the underlying coding but apple doesn't own it.

I have seen several Siri job postings which could indicate a major Siri refresh next year not to mention I'm expecting actual voice recognition in 2015's devices.
Nuance is currently in use and Apple is preparing to dump them in favor of their own system akin to how Google does things, but will use Bing to crawl the web. expect Siri and Cortana to produce nearly identical web search responses. (Of course who knows when Apple plans to do the switch is anyone's guess?)
but this is why there has been little forward movement on the current version of Siri. it is literally still a 1.0 product.

----------

I'd much rather prefer that than OK Google's basic b*tch sounding voice.

you do know you can change the voice? My Google Now uses a female British accent (the Queens proper English too) that sounds much more natural to me.

OutSpoken

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
UK
I only really use Siri when I'm driving, but it's extremely convenient.

I'll just keep it open most of the time, and I can just read/reply to text messages using 'Hey Siri' and occasionally make a speaker phone call to someone.

Apart from driving I barely use it...but when driving, I just it a ton.

Speakerphone call with Siri:confused:..... Is that possible? Be cool if it is...

When I'm driving and using hey Siri, the fact I have to pick up the phone to press the loud speaker defeats the object.

editjust tried to ask Siri to make a speaker phone call but it just responded with a normal call... Am I expecting too much of Siri or am I doing it wrong?

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
when siri first came out it was understandable that it was far from perfect because naturally it would need some training to get better, but now siri has been out for years and it's still half retarded. For example, I asked "Where's the nearest Apple store?" and she replied "Big Apple Fruit Store is 1.5 miles away." Seriously?

I use Siri several times a day and I'm glad to have the functionality available, but after years of training it really should be better than it is at this point. At the very least they should put a clickable button on the Siri response page that says "this result was not what I wanted" so that Siri and the programmers learn what areas they need to work on improving.
Siri's backend is completely Nuance softwares own (the company that does Dragon Dictate). Apple has a secret software team in Boston (across from MIT) that is working on completely rebuilding Siri from the ground up that was established a few months before Samsung bought Nuance.

Siri is coming due for a massive improvement (along with Maps)...just be patient.

Calebtt

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012
I hope so, the other day I asked her to call Bother Brunos Pizza which is just like that in my contacts and she replied ( I do not know Brunos brother) I just laughed.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Siri's backend is completely Nuance softwares own (the company that does Dragon Dictate). Apple has a secret software team in Boston (across from MIT) that is working on completely rebuilding Siri from the ground up that was established a few months before Samsung bought Nuance.

Siri is coming due for a massive improvement (along with Maps)...just be patient.

yes, it is. I hope it happens in next years update to iOS, but wouldn't be surprised if we are waiting until 2016 and ios10.

motulist

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 2, 2003
because it's an apple advertising gimmick par excellence - nothing more.

Sorry, but that's a ridiculously stupid comment. There are zillions of us, myself included, who use siri ALL the time.

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006

Apple has a problem with intelligence across the board.

Google reigns supreme in this scenario.

For example, when using Apple Maps the other day, I was two blocks away from a restaurant called Mindy's.

I searched "mindy's" to get the exact address and the map zoomed out and showed me a Mindy's that was like an hour away.

What's worse is that the one 2 blocks from me showed up as a pin, meaning the phone KNEW it was there, and knew it was close to me, but somehow assessed that a restaurant by the same name an hour away was more useful to me.

This lack of sense and tact is the same issue I find with Siri.

Danley

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2014
OC
Oddly enough my favorite thing about having a phone or device is not needing to talk to it or listen to it to get it to respond to my requests (I enter a similar paradox, when I realize that I don't want to FaceTime, because I don't want people to see me using the toilet...)

On that note I've used Siri maybe twice, and once was to just test it to see if it worked. Realistically though, I can see using it slightly more if it had better third party app integration.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
Siri is a critical component for the :apple:Watch, so I wouldn't be surprised if they introduce some major improvements at or just prior to its launch.

The reason it needs an internet connection is because Siri uses a remote server to interpret your voice. Said server has more processing power and saves at least several hundred MB of internal storage that would otherwise be consumed by voice processing software.

I would guess the server network has the processing power of a skyscraper full of iPhones. Context aware voice recognition and AI is, and will always be the hardest problem in CS. As much as I complain about Apple, I think their Siri project is one of the greatest and most noble pursuits ever attempted by mankind.

----------

Oddly enough my favorite thing about having a phone or device is not needing to talk to it or listen to it to get it to respond to my requests (I enter a similar paradox, when I realize that I don't want to FaceTime, because I don't want people to see me using the toilet...)

On that note I've used Siri maybe twice, and once was to just test it to see if it worked. Realistically though, I can see using it slightly more if it had better third party app integration.

Absolutely!!! Developers need to be able to add Siri commands to their apps.

Artimus12

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2011
YooKay
For me, Siri is just "good enough" to use in the car while I'm driving, but for any other purpose I don't find it useful. It seems to have gotten a little better over time but it's far from perfect.
+1

SIRI's great for hands free navigation and messaging. If it's having a problem differentiating between similarly named contacts, add more detail to the contact and use nick-names.

i.e: "SIRI, call my Wife\Son" is always going to be more effective than "SIRI, call Karen\Chad" if you have more that 1 contact with the name Karen\Chad in your phonebook! Navigate "Home\Office" is more accurate than Navigate to "whatever long, drawn-out address" if SIRI knows where "Home\Office" is because you've already noted it in your contact details.

You have to give it a chance by setting up your contacts properly, for the best results, and if you're in the car - minimise background noise whilst you use it.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Hi. I'm posting from the future, and I can say that the big improvement never happened.
Al depends on personal uses and experiences really. That said, Siri can certainly be better in all kinds of respects, but it has still improved over the years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.