Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rotarypower101

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
Portland Oregon
Are there ways to use Siri on a Mac Studio if no Apple display like the Studio Display is used?

Possibly with Airpods or maybe some standalone hardware preferably, for those few times it is helpful enough to excuse the frustration of utilizing it?

Just having a mode of access if needed would be helpful, and have not found many threads on the topic.

Anyone using Siri with an alternative to a studio/apple display, and has some suggestions to consider while retaining existing displays?

*To update, I purchased the cheap USBC option below, 3D printed a mount, and its working as good as SIRI ever has, or is seemingly capable of doing currently.

Though I am curious, does "Hey Siri" functionality work with NO physical interaction on this platform? A always listening trigger? Have not been able to get that functionality to actuate, though I have several other devices within hearing proximity, HomePod, iPhone, ipad, so not sure if that interplay is hindering that functionality?

Attachments

• IMG_5878.JPG
    IMG_5878.JPG
    448.8 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Look for a "USB microphone" on Amazon. Once you've plugged it into the Mac Studio, selected it as your sound input and adjusted the input level I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have to do much of anything further.

rotarypower101

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
Portland Oregon
Well thats good to read thank you!
My jaded impression was that this functionality might potentially be locked behind paired hardware as I didn't find any hits on the topic...

Are there any "prescriptive" selections that will work better for that standalone application since there is not a 3.5mm dedicated jack any longer?

If anyone might have some recommendations from experience looking for options, ideally I would like a compact Dark compact option that could be discreetly double side taped to the bottom lip of a glass surfaced desk (assuming proximity is advantageous for positioning).

Don't use Siri often, but sometimes it's just the right tool for the job.

Naive question, but is any special hardware needed for the "always listening hey siri" functionality? Or essentially will any option that is recognized on the OS operate as expected/desired? Or is "Hey Siri" voice activation even supported on desktops?

Are there possibly any brands/options that will "help" with dictation accuracy, considering apples own hardware mic selection paired with their software can struggle at times despite presumably being tuned and optimized for it?

Last edited:

rotarypower101

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
Portland Oregon
Yes from the Apple and Siri perspective, but it a clip on microphone meant to be worn on your upper body
Thinking no matter what I end up with, I could 3D print a enclosure/mount to attach it to my specific scenario, as I am not seeing many close options for what I had envisioned and hoped for.

rotarypower101

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
Portland Oregon
I would be concerned with sound/pick-up quality with a clip on microphone if it is more than 18” away. But I’m not a microphone expert
Thanks for the feedback, any choice I make will be a complete shot in the dark and hopeful selection, as I don't see anything explicitly calling out hardware for this application I had in mind.

I was thinking...maybe one of those made sense, as my hope is to place it ~18" from my mouth as measured incidentally, just under the lower lip of the desk.

Maybe it will work, maybe it wont...
First try for $6 shipped, not a big loss just to see how the functionality works on this platform.
Never set this up on my MacPro, and lament not trying.
Hopefully it works better and is more useful than anticipated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.