Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WilsonNM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2023
So...I used to whitelist this one site with the AdGuard iOS app. I decided no longer to do this. Despite deleting the whitelist rule, AdGuard still won't block ads on this site.

I concluded it must be an AdGuard problem, so I deleted AdGuard and installed 1Blocker.

Nope, ads still show up on this one website and no others.

I tested the site on Safari for macOS, and the ads are successfully blocked with 1Blocker.

Why is it impossible to block ads on this site on iOS? Just because I once whitelisted it in the past? I really don't understand how an entirely new ad-blocker is still somehow whitelisting it. I checked the "Allow List" setting on 1Blocker and there are no sites listed. Why is this one site still showing ads?

WilsonNM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2023
Update: I answered my own question and solved the problem!

It seems that when I initially attempted to whitelist this site, I'd done so by "disabling content blockers on ___.com". Under Settings > Safari > Content Blockers, I found a toggle for disabling content blockers for this specific site, therefore it was by default preventing the effects of any ad-blocking app. I switched off the toggle and now ads are blocked.

I figured that the issue was at the Safari level, not at the ad-blocking app level. It took me a while to remember the "Content Blockers" setting'.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.