Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wizec

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2019
Let me start off with; if this hadn't happened to me, I wouldn't have believed it.

I have an iPad that I switched from a 4 digit passcode to a 6 digit passcode. The passcode works for a few minutes, then stops working.

I erased the iPad and set it up again today, put in a 6 digit passcode, wrote the passcode down, and it's doing it again, the passcode won't work.

I'm in the process of erasing it again but this is getting ridiculous. It's a 2019 iPad 10.2" on iPadOS 14.6

Just wondering if anyone else has ever run across this before and what to do about it…

Last edited:

Wizec

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2019
I just set it up with a 4 digit passcode and now that's not working. I'm thinking it's time to contact Apple and get it replaced. This is out of this world.

Wizec

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2019
It’s in pristine condition. I’ve put the passcode in with someone watching me to confirm it..,

Wizec

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2019
1) Backup
2) Wipe and set up as new.

A lot of times doing that solves a lot of problems.
Can’t back it up, it’s locked out.

I set it up as new twice. Hopefully Apple will replace it, I have Apple Care+

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
I know it's a long shot but I was wondering if there's any follow up on this. I got locked out of my iPhone and iPad. Passcodes stopped working. Had to restore using Recovery Mode and was able to restore from backup. Afraid of it happening again. Super lucky my computer was logged into iCloud and working, but if I did not have my computer around I would have been potentially screwed.

Am now in the process of reviewing iCloud and passcode reset options. Have only found scarce info online about passcodes stopping to work. Rebooting the device several times didn't work, and with each passing attempt the time to attempt again was increasing so didn't want to risk making it worse.

Just finished restoring my iPad and iPhone both and it seems okay now but afraid of it happening again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.