Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I'm on the verge of pulling the trigger on a cellular model sixth generation iPad mini. I'm wondering, for those that own one, what it's like reading comics and graphic novels on one? Is it adequate? Or is it too small and therefore kind of crappy for reading comics? Certainly standard books are awesome on an iPad mini, but I'd imagine comics might be a little different due to the size. Or is it the case that the 8.3-inch screen is much better for that than the 7.9-inch models ever were?

For context, the apps I'd likely be using for this would be as follows:

- Apple Books
- Google Play Books
- Marvel Comics App (not Marvel Unlimited, but rather Marvel's digital comics store)
- DC Universe Infinite

The former two would probably be used exclusively for trade paperbacks and graphic novels, while the latter two would be those as well as issues.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
YMMV

8.3” matches the aspect ratio of modern comics better so the image is larger than what you’d get on the 7.9” mini.

For me though, the text is still a bit too small for comfort for American comics. Great for Japanese manga and Korean manhwa though.

Why not check it for yourself at a local Apple Store or electronics store?

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
YMMV

8.3” matches the aspect ratio of modern comics better so the image is larger than what you’d get on the 7.9” mini.

For me though, the text is still a bit too small for comfort for American comics. Great for Japanese manga and Korean manhwa though.

Why not check it for yourself at a local Apple Store or electronics store?
I would if I could, but I would either need the Apple ID information of the Apple ID already logged onto the iPad minis on display in order to try it out. At the Apple Store, they have JAMF Pro on all demo units which will lock that down. Not sure my mileage will be much better at a Best Buy. Certainly if it was, I'd probably go there and try it.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I would if I could, but I would either need the Apple ID information of the Apple ID already logged onto the iPad minis on display in order to try it out. At the Apple Store, they have JAMF Pro on all demo units which will lock that down. Not sure my mileage will be much better at a Best Buy. Certainly if it was, I'd probably go there and try it.

Safari still works. All you need are a couple pages of comics on a web server to see if the size works out for you.

The Apple Books app is also guaranteed to be installed. Maybe you can try to download some free comic samples on there.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Safari still works. All you need are a couple pages of comics on a web server to see if the size works out for you.

Safari doesn't help me if Safari isn't what I use to read my stuff normally. :p

The Apple Books app is also guaranteed to be installed. Maybe you can try to download some free comic samples on there.
The Apple Books App will be installed, but you generally can't add things from Apple Books on a store iPad. Even free stuff requires an Apple ID.

Trust me, if it was easy to demo this on an in-store iPad, I'd have definitely done so already. :(

CharlesShaw

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2015
edit. Is there a reason you can’t buy one to try it out and return it if it doesn’t work for you?

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
edit. Is there a reason you can’t buy one to try it out and return it if it doesn’t work for you?
I'm buying one regardless as it suits several other needs that are unrelated to comics. For added context, I'm trying to see if I can have a 12.9-inch iPad Pro and an iPad mini both cover every possible iPad need that I'd have without ever needing either a standard iPad, an iPad Air, or an 11-inch iPad Pro. I'm pretty sure that with those two, I wouldn't need that middle size category of iPad at all. But reading comics on the go could be one exception. Luckily, if it comes to that, that middle size category would seem to be the one where I have the most options and it's not like I NEED stage manager to read comics.

Basically this post is me seeing if I actually need my iPad Air or if it's superfluous for my needs. Just presented from the standpoint of the iPad mini as I know that's an iPad I'll use more and take more places.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Safari doesn't help me if Safari isn't what I use to read my stuff normally. :p

You just need to see how big comic pages and text will look on the iPad mini. Safari is enough for that.

Viewing the same image full screen on the iPad all look the same regardless if you’re using Photos, Apple Books, Comixology, etc. It’s the navigation, etc. where apps differ.

wilyone

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2016
I use my mini 6 for some of the things the OP listed.
I read ebooks using both Apple's iBooks and Amazon's Kindle apps in addition to some webnovels via safari.
My comic consumption consists of the old Comixology app, the Kindle app (since Amazon is killing off the Comixology brand/app) , to reading some using safari.

I found the form factor and screen size to be fine for what I am reading. Having moved from a 12.9" iPad Pro, it took a little getting used to at first. After a week, I found I barely missed the larger screen of the 12.9". (That is until I noticed I need reading glasses, but even my desktop monitor tells me that.) One thing that did cause me to sorely miss the 12.9" screen is reading magazines. Other than that, my forearms do not miss having to hold the larger device for hours at a time.

• Love
Reactions: Yebubbleman

RLRabb

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2011
It sounds like you are also looking at getting a 12.9” Pro? If you get the 12.9” iPad Pro first, turn on Stage Manager and size the window so it would mimic the screen size of the Mini. Then you can see how comics would look at that size.

Reactions: G5isAlive

Cancelled
Aug 19, 2020
For context, the apps I'd likely be using for this would be as follows:

- Apple Books
- Google Play Books
- Marvel Comics App (not Marvel Unlimited, but rather Marvel's digital comics store)
- DC Universe Infinite

Comics, Magazines, and books are about all I use mine for. Its perfect and slides into a jacket pocket

Reactions: Yebubbleman

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I bought an iPad mini primarily to be an eReader. I just finished all but the last volume of Fire Force. I think it’s a great physical size for holding. Display size is exactly big enough for me, but I do hold it a bit closer to my face which I can comfortably do since it’s an iPad mini.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
You just need to see how big comic pages and text will look on the iPad mini. Safari is enough for that.

Viewing the same image full screen on the iPad all look the same regardless if you’re using Photos, Apple Books, Comixology, etc. It’s the navigation, etc. where apps differ.

I get what you are saying. However, different apps (and different formats) will size out differently. I've experienced this with media across all four of those apps which is why I ask specifically about those apps.

Try it out. You have 15 days to return it if you don’t like it for any reason.

Not even remotely convenient. I'm that kind of protective user that will buy a case, buy a screen protector and get all of that installed and put on before I start using it. And seeing as I'm getting the cellular model, I have carrier logistics to add to that.

Incidentally, I'm getting this iPad mini regardless (because it still makes sense for completely unrelated purposes). I started this thread to see what others thought about these apps on the mini. I'm not in a rush to get rid of my iPad Air, but it'd be nice to know whether or not I'm going to want to use it for comics once I get the mini or if the mini is totally adequate for it.

I use my mini 6 for some of the things the OP listed.
I read ebooks using both Apple's iBooks and Amazon's Kindle apps in addition to some webnovels via safari.
My comic consumption consists of the old Comixology app, the Kindle app (since Amazon is killing off the Comixology brand/app) , to reading some using safari.

I found the form factor and screen size to be fine for what I am reading. Having moved from a 12.9" iPad Pro, it took a little getting used to at first. After a week, I found I barely missed the larger screen of the 12.9". (That is until I noticed I need reading glasses, but even my desktop monitor tells me that.) One thing that did cause me to sorely miss the 12.9" screen is reading magazines. Other than that, my forearms do not miss having to hold the larger device for hours at a time.

That's exactly what I was hoping to hear. Thanks! :)

It sounds like you are also looking at getting a 12.9” Pro? If you get the 12.9” iPad Pro first, turn on Stage Manager and size the window so it would mimic the screen size of the Mini. Then you can see how comics would look at that size.

The 12.9-inch iPad Pro won't be able to come first. The mini is serving a more immediate need. The 12.9-inch iPad Pro isn't as immediate (and it's also WAY more expensive). But I definitely appreciate the ingenuity of that particular solution!

I bought an iPad mini primarily to be an eReader. I just finished all but the last volume of Fire Force. I think it’s a great physical size for holding. Display size is exactly big enough for me, but I do hold it a bit closer to my face which I can comfortably do since it’s an iPad mini.

I guess holding it closer to the face can offset it being smaller and it is still has "retina" DPI such that it's not a pain. I'd imagine a first generation iPad mini would've sucked for this. I'd also imagine that the 8.3-inch display of the sixth generation iPad mini makes this easier to do than the 7.9-inch sizes of old.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I checked out a display model sixth generation iPad mini at a MicroCenter tonight. The one thing I completely forgot that could be done without an AppleID is the "Sample" function in the Apple Books Store. Those samples do weird things with page skips on comics. But, I was able to at least see what Apple Books versions of graphic novels and comics look like and it's totally fine. Better than I expected, honestly. I'm likely not going to sell my fourth generation iPad Air anytime soon, but I am glad that I won't need to rely on it just to read comics.

Reactions: japanime
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.