Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2008
Does anyone know what the N and W coding is for the light seal? Same Q for the number scale? I have a 21 and am wondering if I can order a smaller one but it seems impossible to manually select on the Apple Store. I have some light drifting in around my nose!

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Are you sure the light you are seeing is from like leakage and not lens glare? Is it everywhere or only watching movies?

I know the number is the thickness of the light seal. The greater the number, the more space it creates between your eyes and the lenses. I figured that out by trying various ones in store.

danop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2008
the light seal feels very wide to me! Also wondering if I should get a shallower depth/lower number than 33!

tobyringle69

macrumors regular
May 13, 2015
I asked an employee at the Apple Store yesterday. W=Wide, N=Narrow. He said no one knows what the numbers translate to. I was assigned a 21W and that came with my home delivery. Some light leakage on the sides. I had them fit me at the store. They tried a N, but I had the same leakage (minimal BTW). So I just stayed with the 21W. They also said some light under the nose is expected.

danop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2008
Toby - very helpful thank you! Was there a noticeable difference between the W and the N?

danop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2008
The number is definitely the depth of the light band for sure.

8KYUP

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2015
Hi guys, it seems (internet) that Apple Vison Pro Light Seals use a three character code. In the example 23W The first character (2) represents overall width the second character (3) represents depth and the third character (W) represents nose bridge width (N=narrow, W=Wide).

Apple Vison Pro Lght Seal Cushions come in Narrow, Wide, Narrow + and Wide + with the plus sizes being thicker/deeper.

I had read that there are 26 total variations. From what I can tell there are three widths (1,2,3), five depths (1,2,3,4,5) and two bridge widths (N,W). This would be 30 variations if all combinations have been produced.

There are also (obviously) 2 band styles, each comes in S,M,L.

We have two light seals here (21 Wide and 25 Wide), and I can tell you that changing between the two has a profound effect on field of view, glare/flare, light leakage, and comfort. We are both pleased so far but we are headed to Apple Store to make sure that we have the perfect fit.

In my opinion, in many cases getting this right will be the difference between enjoying this device or not.

Last edited:

MockT

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2024
Hi guys, it seems (internet) that Apple Vison Pro Light Seals use a three character code. In the example 23W The first character (2) represents overall width the second character (3) represents depth and the third character (W) represents nose bridge width (N=narrow, W=Wide).

Apple Vison Pro Lght Seal Cushions come in Narrow, Wide, Narrow + and Wide + with the plus sizes being thicker/deeper.

We have two light seals here, and I can tell you the changing between the two has a profound effect on field of view, glare/flare, and light leakage. We are headed to Apple Store to make sure that we have the perfect fit.
Excellent! Thank you. Knowing what each number means is so useful. I'm surprised they would use such a confusing naming scheme. They should code the first two numbers differently.

Now I wonder if an N seal would mean less light leakage around the nose. I guess doesn't matter anymore for this generation (returnee).

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York

I had read that there are 26 total variations. From what I can tell there are three widths (1,2,3), five depths (1,2,3,4,5) and two bridge widths (N,W). This would be 30 variations if all combinations have been produced.

We have two light seals here (21 Wide and 25 Wide), and I can tell you that changing between the two has a profound effect on field of view, glare/flare, light leakage, and comfort. We are both pleased so far but we are headed to Apple Store to make sure that we have the perfect fit.

In my opinion, in many cases getting this right will be the difference between enjoying this device or not.
Great info. Thank you for sharing.

For my initial preorder fit test, I got 33W after a few tries. At that time, I didn’t know what the numbers meant. Not sure if anyone knew. After reading that the majority of people tested to be 21W, I gave it another shot after I preordered and consistently got 21W.

When I went to the store to pick up my AVP, I asked the Apple employee to be tested again to make sure. They got 33W. Mind you, at this time, I still had no clue what the numbers meant but assumed the higher the number, the bigger the light seal. I asked for a quick demo just to test the feel of it on my face and there was a huge gap at the bottom. I can see my nose, the floor, my feet, etc. Using the rotary knob to tighten it only brought the AVP tighter to my forehead thusly widening the gap at the bottom.

Here’s the kicker… I asked them to try on a 21W to make sure and they gave me a hard time saying they didn’t have time and they have to ask the manager and that I should go home and try it on and then bring it back if it was too big. Say what? I just spent 4K on a device that relies on a proper fit to work properly and you’re telling me to kick rocks? I insisted that I wasn’t leaving with it if I can’t try on other sizes and that the discrepancy in sizing was due to their fitment software. They finally agreed and sure enough, the 21W size fit was 100x better than the 33W. I don’t have the Zeiss lenses.

Now, after reading your post, I’m curious if there is another size that might fit even better, like a 21N. My nose is fairly narrow and pointy.

flofixer

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2016
California

So which of the two sizes was better for FOV, glare, light leakage and comfort?

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
Not sure what this means, but my scan through the app at home gave me a consistent 21W and in store gave me 23W. I ordered the store measurements, but not sure what the difference would be — thoughts?

Roadcrew

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2019
and the third character (W) represents nose bridge width (N=narrow, W=Wide).
Now, after reading your post, I’m curious if there is another size that might fit even better, like a 21N. My nose is fairly narrow and pointy.
Now I wonder if an N seal would mean less light leakage around the nose. I guess doesn't matter anymore for this generation (returnee).
I had the chance to compare a 23W and 23N in-store side by side, and the difference was not nose bridge width. The nose gap size was exactly identical between them. The difference was at the outside curve — the W sloped out more, while the N was narrower and so would put all the pressure on the face closer to the eye sockets. I think the N only really exists for people with narrower-than-average faces, who would experience light leaks at the side with the W.

Not sure what this means, but my scan through the app at home gave me a consistent 21W and in store gave me 23W. I ordered the store measurements, but not sure what the difference would be — thoughts?
It might just be the extra-bright retail lighting giving it a brighter scan in store. I would default to the 21W (shallower) because that will both give better FOV and be more comfortable in movement than the 23W (deeper), and only swap to the 23W if that turns out to not work with your eye positioning.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I had the chance to compare a 23W and 23N in-store side by side, and the difference was not nose bridge width. The nose gap size was exactly identical between them. The difference was at the outside curve — the W sloped out more, while the N was narrower and so would put all the pressure on the face closer to the eye sockets. I think the N only really exists for people with narrower-than-average faces, who would experience light leaks at the side with the W.

It might just be the extra-bright retail lighting giving it a brighter scan in store. I would default to the 21W (shallower) because that will both give better FOV and be more comfortable in movement than the 23W (deeper), and only swap to the 23W if that turns out to not work with your eye positioning.
Good to know. Thank you for the reply.

mswlogo

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2007

I don't think first digit is width. I think it's the tilt. See this Video.

There are
6 depths, 1-6
3 Tilts 1-3
Narrow and Wide
Bands S, M, L
Cushion + or Normal
Solo Loop or Dual Loop.

I calculated over 300 combo's

mswlogo

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2007
Makes sense. I agree, I don't think there is a "Bridge size". That area has the soft light shield and the moving eye pieces. You play with all the other parameters so that your nose is out of the way.

danop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2008
Totally agree - the N felt super-oval in curve which gave me a false sense of it being too small. it wasn’t too small, it was simply the outside curve was too ‘curvy’. What a cluster! I went to my local Apple Store and saw the set of Drawers filled with every combo of sizes. Did Apple put their B team on this? Feels like a half assed engineered solution all around. Why no magsafe battery cable too? Mind boggling.

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
I asked an employee at the Apple Store yesterday. W=Wide, N=Narrow. He said no one knows what the numbers translate to. I was assigned a 21W and that came with my home delivery. Some light leakage on the sides. I had them fit me at the store. They tried a N, but I had the same leakage (minimal BTW). So I just stayed with the 21W. They also said some light under the nose is expected.
This is very helpful. Did you take your VP to the store or did they just bring out various sizes?
Were you able to walk in without an appointment?
I’m thinking about doing what you did.

tobyringle69

macrumors regular
May 13, 2015
This is very helpful. Did you take your VP to the store or did they just bring out various sizes?
Were you able to walk in without an appointment?
I’m thinking about doing what you did.
They suggested I make an appt for a DEMO to give me adequate time for a proper fitting. You can certainly try doing so as a "walk-in", but safer with an appt. I did bring my Light Seal (and both cushions) with me incase I wanted to do an immediate exchange. I did not bring the Vision Pro.

Reactions: fatTribble

danop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2008
I made an appt but then got paired up with a store rep who admitted he had never done a fitting before. After forcing him to systematically hand me every light seal from the cabinet, I was able to land on one that fitted OK. The rep laughably told me 'oh the bigger the number, the smaller the fit' followed by 'well if I were you, I'd wait for better 3rd party light seals to come out'. For $4K - are you kidding me? The whole experience was a total joke.

Reactions: fatTribble

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
They suggested I make an appt for a DEMO to give me adequate time for a proper fitting. You can certainly try doing so as a "walk-in", but safer with an appt. I did bring my Light Seal (and both cushions) with me incase I wanted to do an immediate exchange. I did not bring the Vision Pro.
Very helpful! Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.