Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Branaghan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2019
Currently I am using the IPP 10.5 and I have made a backup to iCloud of my settings and app data. But I am going to do the following in the next days:

- Erase all data from this device, restore to factory settings using iTunes... and at the same time update to last iPadOS version;
- Don't restore from any backup after this... *

* Meaning I'll manually download every single app again, and reconfigure all settings.

I noticed that if we do all that we are still able to restore for example documents saved to iCloud from say, GoodNotes or Notability.

Now, the problem is I don't want to lose all messages and images/videos shared using the Skype app.

There's a feature that is capable of doing that:

And checking here in my PC I can see all images and videos were saved. Into a folder in which every single filename is in this fashion:

0-eus-d4-84ddb07f66c2d21de0a8726bc85cfb11.1.jpg

Then you have the same filename with a JSON extension:

0-eus-d4-84ddb07f66c2d21de0a8726bc85cfb11.1.json

If I use the SKYPE parser all messages can be read, but there's garbage text in the middle of each one.

Total size of this backup is 252 MB.

That's not what I am looking for.

I want to do all the ERASING and then when I reinstall the Skype app:

The chat history and all images still there. As they are today.

There's just one problem: the Skype app isn't listed among the ones that are actually doing any backup to iCloud.

So it seems you can't restore chat history if you erase your device. You can do that procedure from Microsoft's website, but that's not what we are looking for.

If this was WhatsApp then we would be able to restore everything, chat history and images sent to our contacts. Provided we do a Google Drive backup.

Am I missing something? I haven't tried yet erasing this device. I plan to do what I suggested here:

P.S. It seems only the last 30 days are stored in the Microsoft cloud:

Can someone confirm what would happen in my case?

Last edited:

Branaghan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2019
I just erased my device and noticed all images and chat history were there. In the iPAD, after I logged into my account again. I don't know the extent of the old messages, but apparently it goes back to the last 2 years in the Microsoft cloud. Just found this link:

And yeah, no data is really saved in iCloud as a backup. It's all stored in MS servers.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.