Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
skype is threatening, yes. but it is by far not as good as traditional voice communication as we know it.

communicating from mac to mac is "awful". using the skypeone service is barely usable.

deckwalker

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2005
Lao PDR
I use it in Afghanistan to friends in Thailand and in the US and often it works great. Sometimes there is quite a lag or an echo - I've always put that down to using satellite internet. For free software it saves me a lot on phone calls.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
deckwalker said:
I use it in Afghanistan to friends in Thailand and in the US and often it works great. Sometimes there is quite a lag or an echo - I've always put that down to using satellite internet. For free software it saves me a lot on phone calls.
Yeah, I think I'd put up with that if I was calling from Afghanistan. If I'm calling my wife's office a mile away, I don't think so.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
My experiences with SKYPE were ALL awful, i found that it does not work and I have followed the guides for firewall settings and so forth.

At present SKYPE has a long long long way to go.

People and companies tend to overreact on any emerging market. :p ;) :)

I will still keep my land line since and when the electricity goes out you will not be able to use VoIP, unless you have a generator. :)

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
Is it just me or do people sound different on Skype too? Compared to iChat and normal telephones, I swear people sound completely different on Skype!

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
wordmunger said:
When I call people on Skype out, they still hear an echo of their voice. Sorry, not good enough.

All I've had to do is click "echo cancellation" in preferences, and the reception is clear as a bell between S.A. and mid west U.S. Skype hab been berry berry gude to me :)
X

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
xsedrinam said:
All I've had to do is click "echo cancellation" in preferences, and the reception is clear as a bell between S.A. and mid west U.S. Skype hab been berry berry gude to me :)
X

Thanks for the tip...but shouldn't this just be standard, when is an echo ever a good idea? :confused:

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
maya said:
I am thinking an echo is good for keeping ones voice as an alias to the original. ;) :)

an update should have this fixed as a standard instead of an option. :)

True, but it does eliminate having to repeat stuff ;)
BTW-Maya, this poster child for tsunami turned my head; but at second glance, I guess it's not that close.
tsunami-small.jpg

X

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
xsedrinam said:
X

Wow. I'll have to try that out. None of my friends are home right now, though...

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
xsedrinam said:
True, but it does eliminate having to repeat stuff ;)
BTW-Maya, this poster child for tsunami turned my head; but at second glance, I guess it's not that close.
http://www.picsplace.to/5/0642/tsunami-small.jpg[IMG]
X[/QUOTE]

Nah not even close, since I was not born in any part of the tsunami affected areas. :)

deckwalker

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2005
Lao PDR
Wow, I'd never seen that preference either. I wonder why it's not a default? A friend of mine just installed Skype yesterday in Congo but we couldn't talk as the echo and delay were so bad. Maybe now it'll work. Thanks for the tip.

sash

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2004
quite a good program!

Hi there!

I'm using Skype not really frequently, so maybe my experience is not that representative, but i have to say that the program works just good...

I've called to another computer (Mac-PC, PC-PC, MAC-MAC) as well as to the real phone (normal and mobile) with quite a good results.

I've got a very bad sound in two occasions: calling (from Belgium) to somebody in SA; hi has an old PC and has a slow dial-up connection. The second bad experience was when I tried to SkypeOut to somebody with just an awful, really awful telephone network.

But it must be said that Skype is an enormously hardware demanding program.

Thanks,
Sash

deckwalker

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2005
Lao PDR
Does anyone know if the windows version of Skype has a similar echo cancellation preference? Most of my friends use the windows version and it would be good to be able to tell them how to cut the echo.

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
sash said:
I'm using Skype not really frequently, so maybe my experience is not that representative, but i have to say that the program works just good...

Finally! At least someone other than I likes it. It sounds very clear when I talk to my PC-using friend, even in a 3 way chat.

And that echo is probably just from the speakers, try using head phones next time. My friends did complain that my iMac's speakers echoing through my mic, which was less than 6" away from it.

It's especially great since I have a sister that is *always* on the regular phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.