Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
I know Skype and Whatsapp and other VOIP services have gained access to the native phone capabilities of iOS. Is Skype for Business included? Has anyone successfully used it from the dialer in iOS 10?

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Applications will need to be updated for this. I wouldn't expect to see it until or near the public release, or at least into the public beta.

nheilweil

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Redmond, WA
I know Skype and Whatsapp and other VOIP services have gained access to the native phone capabilities of iOS. Is Skype for Business included? Has anyone successfully used it from the dialer in iOS 10?
Apps aren't allowed to use iOS 10 API's until iOS 10 is publicly released in the Fall so won't know until then.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Apple hasn't handpicked a list of apps which are integrated, it's a kit that VoIP apps are free to implement in order to integrate. Of course, there's an element of curation on Apple's end around which apps it lets on the store but mostly the question is with Microsoft - will they take advantage of this integration or not!Don't see why they wouldn't? And as others have mentioned, the soonest date they can implement this is 10.0 GM/final release date.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
What got me thinking about this is that I believe Skype was mentioned during the keynote in connection with the phone subsystem. Skype and Skype for Business are obviously different products, but they do share the VoIP functionality. My company uses S4B, so it would be nice to have that available.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.