Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Guntis

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 29, 2004
Riga, Latvia
Hi all,
Finally long-awaited Mac version of Skype is available on Skype website for free download. It's still in Beta, but it really works!
Initially I had problems with my password (it could not remember my 12-alphanumeric log-in password after computer restart, and I had to change my password to something shorter), but now it works, and the sound quality is very good.
Get it here:
http://www.skype.com/download_osx.html

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
I'd never heard of Skype before today but it sounds pretty cool. From the makers of Kazaa though? I know they say it's ad free, but is it entirely spyware and adware free? Last thing we need is that crap on OSX.

Guntis

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 29, 2004
Riga, Latvia
I haven't noticed anything of that. Looks like it's really free of all that stuff. Skype actually is half-commercial -- you can call any other Skype user for free, or use text chat, but you can also call to the ordinary phone line, and that will cost you little. So it's free as long as you are using online communications in both directions.

ocellnuri

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2004
Raleigh, NC, USA
I tried this out last night... meant to make a post, but forgot.

The sound quality was fantastic between two Powerbooks over WirelessB. There were a couple hiccups, but that's expected. It sounded fine even without headphones, just using the built in speakers/mics. Once I added headphones though, it was even better.

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
ExoticFish said:
so now how exactly does this differ from just talking to my friends using iChat? I can understand VoIP for regular phones but on a computer why not just use iChat? at least then i can use my iSight as well.

thats my question

Sneeper

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2004
San Francisco
ExoticFish said:
so now how exactly does this differ from just talking to my friends using iChat? I can understand VoIP for regular phones but on a computer why not just use iChat? at least then i can use my iSight as well.

iChat rocks.

But alas, not everyone has a Mac. And Skype is very popular with PC users.. in fact, I think it's the most popular VOIP program for the PC right now.. So if you wanna talk with your skype-using PC friends, then having a copy of Skype wouldn't be a bad idea.

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
Sneeper said:
iChat rocks.

But alas, not everyone has a Mac. And Skype is very popular with PC users.. in fact, I think it's the most popular VOIP program for the PC right now.. So if you wanna talk with your skype-using PC friends, then having a copy of Skype wouldn't be a bad idea.
Agree that if you are talking to Skype users, get Skype. But can't iChat talk to AIM 5.5 (?) users on the PC (Audio/Video)? If so, I think there are more users of that than there are of Skype.

PS Just tried out the AV features on iChat recently and was completly blown away. Very high quality sound and very good video (Macs weren't fast enough for highest quality video). And no hiccups.

ocellnuri

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2004
Raleigh, NC, USA
The sound quality on Skype seems a lot better to me than AIM's voice. But I haven't done any real scientific tests.

Skype is great for my Windows machine though. I've gone two years without installing AOL software on it, and I don't plan to start now.

ExoticFish

macrumors 6502a
kgarner said:
Agree that if you are talking to Skype users, get Skype. But can't iChat talk to AIM 5.5 (?) users on the PC (Audio/Video)? If so, I think there are more users of that than there are of Skype.

PS Just tried out the AV features on iChat recently and was completly blown away. Very high quality sound and very good video (Macs weren't fast enough for highest quality video). And no hiccups.

the newest version of AIM for Windows can talk to iChat from what i remember.

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
ExoticFish said:
the newest version of AIM for Windows can talk to iChat from what i remember.

There have been a few threads on this.

So far, nobody has confirmed that iChat voice-chatting works with the latest AIM for Windows. It's "supposed" to work but so far it doesn't.

Timelessblur

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
Rod Rod said:
There have been a few threads on this.

So far, nobody has confirmed that iChat voice-chatting works with the latest AIM for Windows. It's "supposed" to work but so far it doesn't.

It does work. I was talking to my friend who is on iChat with the vidoe chat thing. I am on verson 5.5.3595 of windows AIM (which is not hte latest verson of aim which is at 5.9 right now) it work really nicely

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
Timelessblur said:
It does work. I was talking to my friend who is on iChat with the vidoe chat thing. I am on verson 5.5.3595 of windows AIM (which is not hte latest verson of aim which is at 5.9 right now) it work really nicely

Thanks for confirming. Have you been able to do voice-only both ways?

Sneeper

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2004
San Francisco
Timelessblur said:

NIcely?! I used to be a PC user and used Windows AIM to chat with iChat users.. It was awful. You could not resize the video window, so you were stick with this tiny window if your desktop was high resolution (like mine was).. And of course, you were stuck with the official Windows client, which is rife with banners and other annoyances.

But I believe with Skype you can actually call people without Skype.. like their real phone. I think you have to pay for that.. unsure, I'm not a Skype user .

t300

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2004
I am using it on OS X and on PPC and it is working great...This is great stuff. Wave of the future? I think so!

C-Mezak

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2004
Edinburgh, Scotland
ExoticFish said:

I'm a student behind a university firewall. All sorts of internet uses are blocked including https and most instand messaging, but Skype actually works!! I would use ichat if I could, but Skype does nicely.

Additonally, Skype's rates for making calls through the normal telephone systes are pretty low compared to what I would otherwise be paying to call my home in CA from my dorm room in Scotland.

I'm still working on getting iChat to work, though!

charlie

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.