Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dombi

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2003
The title is very misleading. The number of downloads does not equal to the number of customers.

There are about 1.2 million people using SkyOut.

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
Not to forget that Skype is updated very regularly, bumping up the download figures even more...but it does sound impressive though!

witness

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2005
Austria
Skype is a pretty fantastic product, especially since skypin and now skypout came along. Not to mention that it works on Mac, Windows and Linux!

Skype saves me many £'s calling friends and family around the world. :)

When the add video support it will be complete.

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
I wonder if the success of Skype will encourage Apple to really make a go of iChat. The AV capabilities are already superb, they just need to get more people using it. A good step would to support more protocols other than AIM (Jabber is a step in the right direction) and making it a cross platform app. I know a lot of people aren't a big fan of iChat but the success of Skype shows that there is a definite market. Unfortunately the sales of iSights are never going to match the sales of iPods so maybe the incentive just isn't there...shame.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.