Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Khalanad75

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2015
land of confusion
So,

I am torn on this. I never did finish it on my 360. I have watched the video and the upgrade in graphics look stunning really. Also, the fact that you can download player made mods is a huge bonus.

I just don't know if I can plunk down $60 on it.

I know it has all the DLC included, I just think $60 for a ~3 year old game is seriously pushing it.

Had it been $40, I wouldn't hesitate at all.

Is it weird that I feel this way with only a $20 difference?

mandoman

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
The game is amazing and totally worth $60 if you've never played it before.
I can totally see being hesitant on the price, however, if you played it a bunch already.

It's a little unfair that PC users get the update for free. If anything, console players should be getting discounts since the game was such a bug ridden mess on consoles, especially on PS3.

I put in close to 200 hours into the game and beat base game plus DLCs. If there weren't so many other great games in my backlog (including Witcher 3), I'd probably pick it up. Personally, I'm going to wait until price drop and I'm ready to play it again.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Honestly they could have charged more and I would have bought it. Then again it's probably my favorite game....ever. So I'm highly biased.

I guess if I were to try to quantify the purchase to someone else it would be "value". This meaning play time hours vs cost.

With all the DLC you might be able to casual breeze through it in 40-80 hours. If you take your time, enjoy the lore, read the books, craft your own weapons, master magic etc then you could probably play it for years. And how many games can you do that? Hell, how many things in life in general can provide that many hours of entertainment for 60 bucks?

So for me the price is easily justified, again I'm bias though. Add on top of that revamped graphics and it's a no brained.

This doesn't help my case but I keep hearing people say it's a 3 year old game. However I bought it for PS3 (or maybe it's was Xbox 360, can't remember) on 11-11-11. So nearly 5 years ago, so I guess people are referring to the legendary edition?

Khalanad75

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2015
land of confusion
Honestly they could have charged more and I would have bought it. Then again it's probably my favorite game....ever. So I'm highly biased.

I guess if I were to try to quantify the purchase to someone else it would be "value". This meaning play time hours vs cost.

With all the DLC you might be able to casual breeze through it in 40-80 hours. If you take your time, enjoy the lore, read the books, craft your own weapons, master magic etc then you could probably play it for years. And how many games can you do that? Hell, how many things in life in general can provide that many hours of entertainment for 60 bucks?

So for me the price is easily justified, again I'm bias though. Add on top of that revamped graphics and it's a no brained.

This doesn't help my case but I keep hearing people say it's a 3 year old game. However I bought it for PS3 (or maybe it's was Xbox 360, can't remember) on 11-11-11. So nearly 5 years ago, so I guess people are referring to the legendary edition?

Honestly I just threw the 3 years out there without looking out when it was released. So they are still charging $60 for a 5 year old game, upgraded graphics or not.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I never played it, and I'm unsure of it, regardless of the price tag. Some games, its an easy decision for me to take the plunge, but this one. I'm not feeling it. Maybe I'll look at some youtube reviews

Khalanad75

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2015
land of confusion
I never played it, and I'm unsure of it, regardless of the price tag. Some games, its an easy decision for me to take the plunge, but this one. I'm not feeling it. Maybe I'll look at some youtube reviews

It really is an amazing game. Just wish it would be $40 instead. Which is so odd to me that the principle of the thing has me held up on $20.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Just wait for the Nintendo Switch release of this. That's what I'll be doing.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I was planning on getting it for PS4, then I heard it's a free upgrade for those who own the original complete collection on Steam. But now I think I'll wait for the Switch version. Ever since the PSP I've wanted a handheld version of an Elder Scrolls game! But I'd trade it all for a VR version.

Reactions: blesscheese

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Just wait for the Nintendo Switch release of this. That's what I'll be doing.

I was planning on getting it for PS4, then I heard it's a free upgrade for those who own the original complete collection on Steam. But now I think I'll wait for the Switch version. Ever since the PSP I've wanted a handheld version of an Elder Scrolls game! But I'd trade it all for a VR version.

Is it confirmed from the reveal video that is a FULL version of Skyrim - not some abridged version?

Yeah, I know a few people who are waiting for this re-release in HD - I was surprised to see it at $60.

GOW re-release was only $40...

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Yes, the PC version if free.

Being someone who doesn't own it, I'm thinking of taking the plunge, especially since it includes all the DLC

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
It really is an amazing game. Just wish it would be $40 instead. Which is so odd to me that the principle of the thing has me held up on $20.

That's understandable, it's not for everyone. I agree it's a bold move to ask full retail for an old game.

However I think if they re released it without upgraded graphics and no DLC they would have asked 30-40 bucks. So I can personally justify that 20-30 dollar difference.

I would like to see bug fixing and AI upgrades though. I doubt that stuff was addressed.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
That's understandable, it's not for everyone. I agree it's a bold move to ask full retail for an old game.
In a away is it an old game? Sure for many folks who played it, but has everyone played the DLC? For me basically a brand new game and the included DLC is a plus.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
In a away is it an old game? Sure for many folks who played it, but has everyone played the DLC? For me basically a brand new game and the included DLC is a plus.

Whether people have or haven't played it doesn't affect its age. Like I mentioned I'm getting it (pre ordered) for $60 and I've played the hell out of it before.

Have you not played Skyrim before? If not and I know you enjoyed Fallout 4 you should be in for a treat. I LOVED the Fallout series but for me that was something to kill time between the Elder Scrolls series.

But I know the lore, I think that can hinder immersion for many people. Fallout was pretty simple in comparison, which is a good thing too.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Have you not played Skyrim before? If not and I know you enjoyed Fallout 4 you should be in for a treat. I LOVED the Fallout series but for me that was something to kill time between the Elder Scrolls series.
I've heard of the game but I never played any of it. Fallout 4 and how much I loved that, is causing me to consider this game.

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
I've heard of the game but I never played any of it. Fallout 4 and how much I loved that, is causing me to consider this game.
If ou loved Fallout 4 then you'll love the Easter Eggs that pop up between the two games.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I guess it's because it doesn't look like a new game, it hasn't got the features of games released later. That would be the problem for me. I wouldn't buy it priced alongside new releases.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Is it confirmed from the reveal video that is a FULL version of Skyrim - not some abridged version?
No. But considering what the Switch is capable of, I would think it's the full version of Skyrim. Might even be the HD remake as well.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
No. But considering what the Switch is capable of, I would think it's the full version of Skyrim. Might even be the HD remake as well.

We have no idea what the Switch is capable of though.

It's not even confirmed that Skyrim is coming to the Switch at all. It was stated that the footage was just used for illustrative purposes.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
We have no idea what the Switch is capable of though.

It's not even confirmed that Skyrim is coming to the Switch at all. It was stated that the footage was just used for illustrative purposes.
No. It was stated that footage is not representative of actual game footage. Not the same thing at all.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
No. It was stated that footage is not representative of actual game footage. Not the same thing at all.

This is the latest info I found:

Everybody likes Skyrim and Nintendo’s the only platform holder not to host an Elder Scrolls (or Fallout) game, and with the Skyrim Special Edition HD remaster coming out now it seems a solid title to slip into the Switch’s launch line-up. Unfortunately, neither Nintendo nor Bethesda will say whether it’s actually happening or total nonsense.

“We’re happy to have had the opportunity to collaborate with Nintendo on the video. While we are not confirming any specific titles at this time, we are pleased to announce our partnership with Nintendo and support of the Switch,” Bethesda told GamesIndustry.

“We look forward to revealing specific games and details in the future.”

Meanwhile, here’s Nintendo’s own statement from the official Switch reveal:

“Today’s video incorporated short glimpses of representative gameplay to demonstrate the liberating nature of the Nintendo Switch home gaming system. Full game demonstrations, the list of launch window titles, as well as launch date, price, product configuration and related specifics, will be shown and announced prior to the March launch.”

http://www.vg247.com/2016/10/20/loo...o-switch-despite-starring-in-the-new-trailer/

Skyrim is NOT confirmed for the Switch, unless I missed something.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Skyrim is NOT confirmed for the Switch, unless I missed something.
Skyrim is not confirmed not to be on the Switch either. There is no official statement either way.
However the Skyrim footage in the Switch trailer would be very suspect if the game didn't make it to the Switch.

On November 13 all of these questions will be answered.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I've only been able to play for about an hour but for those of you on the fence I suggest waiting for reviews.

The game feels a bit dated, combat feels floaty, NPC dialog is hard to follow at time (had to use subtitles). Graphics are ok'ish but nothing mind blowing.

Don't get me wrong I absolutely love the game but not playing it for 3 years may have affected my reality of the game. Lol

Reactions: 44267547

DisraeliGears

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2015
I hate this re-release trend that has grown up with the PS4 and XBone generation. I played Skyrim, why are you wasting time releasing a game that came out last generation?

They've done the same anthology crap with the Uncharted games, Halo, Gears of War, Assassin's Creed, God of War, Last of Us, the list goes on. These games aren't old enough to significantly benefit from remastering, just a bit better graphic sheen and an excuse to get people to buy the same games over again.

If you want to do this kind of thing, go back more than 1 generation. Bethesda, your fans have clamored for a Morrowind remaster for YEARS. Remake THAT, not your most recent Elder Scrolls game!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.