Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrDeftino

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2013
Hey guys, I'm new to the forums and I hope you can help me :)

Firstly, I'm beginning to think I have no idea what kinda MacBook I have, because I think I have the late 2011 13" model, yet people seem to post they have that model with a different processor. Maybe there's something missing there.

Anyhow, my MacBook specs are 2.4GHz Intel Core i5, 16GB 1333 MHz DDR3 RAM, 500GB HDD (100GB for BOOTCAMP), Intel Graphics HD3000. I'm not sure if the i5 is dual or quad, Apple says it's dual so it's probably that but I have seen people post it as a quad core before, it is on my Windows Laptop.

Should I be able to run Skyrim better than on the lowest settings @ 1280x720? It runs mostly fine, I get about 25 - 30fps but it does frequently dip to stutter a little, but it is still playable. One major problem I have though is when running Skyrim (on Windows Home Premium 64-bit) my MacBook really belts out the fans and gets very hot, sometimes even causing the MacBook to blue screen.

Similarly, when I play The Sims on OSX Lion, sometimes the MacBook crashes and restarts, the fans are also going full whack when playing that too.

Is this normal for MacBook pros? Or is there a problem here?

Cheers guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 28, 2010
located
Firstly, I'm beginning to think I have no idea what kinda MacBook I have, because I think I have the late 2011 13" model, yet people seem to post they have that model with a different processor. Maybe there's something missing there.

Anyhow, my MacBook specs are 2.4GHz Intel Core i5, 16GB 1333 MHz DDR3 RAM, 500GB HDD (100GB for BOOTCAMP), Intel Graphics HD3000. I'm not sure if the i5 is dual or quad, Apple says it's dual so it's probably that but I have seen people post it as a quad core before, it is on my Windows Laptop.
With these specs listed, you have a late 2011 MBP, the CPU and the RAM frequency and the integrated graphics processor (IGP) point to this machine.
It is a dual core CPU, as Intel only has dual core i5s and quad core i7s in their Sandy Bridge notebook processor lineup. The desktop lineup features quad core i5s.

Should I be able to run Skyrim better than on the lowest settings @ 1280x720? It runs mostly fine, I get about 25 - 30fps but it does frequently dip to stutter a little, but it is still playable.
The Intel HD3000 can play the game, but with low settings.

One major problem I have though is when running Skyrim (on Windows Home Premium 64-bit) my MacBook really belts out the fans and gets very hot, sometimes even causing the MacBook to blue screen.
The game is CPU intensive, and as the IGP is using the CPU for its purposes, it gets hot. The blue screen is probably due to prevention from overheating or bad code.
Those Macs in their heat - a sine of over-heating? - a short story by Mister GGJstudios

Similarly, when I play The Sims on OSX Lion, sometimes the MacBook crashes and restarts, the fans are also going full whack when playing that too.
CPU leads to heat, and then there is probably bad code in the game and definitely in the OS.

To learn more about Mac OS X: Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
Throttling should occur, not blue screen and shutdown!

I've been playing a bit on my MBA (1.7GHz i5 and Intel HD3000) and it does indeed go hot and fans at full speed, but never blue screen or shutdown.

If your machine shuts down or gets blue screen after taxing it for a while, then you should use your warranty, as it is a failure, not a feature.

MrDeftino

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2013
I bought the mac from my brother who bought it in December 2011. So I don't think there's still a warranty on it.

I've since installed the Unofficial Skyrim patch and I have the textures on high now and fraps tells me I get ~30fps (capped) in all situations.

I used to have the mac on my desk without any kind of area for the hot air to go. I've since put my mac on another part of the desk where part of the vent is exposed and it has so far ran better without shutting down or blue screening. I think the blue screening is part of an overheating problem as it never does it when running Avid, Final Cut or After Effects, just games.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.