Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 6, 2008
With the recent outer screen cracking reports, I think the running theory is that it is something heat related (Maybe just running too hot, then being put into the sock so the fans no longer work.) But along those same lines - does Sleep just not really work on AVP? I've used it every day, and nearly every day the device will be dead in the morning if I leave it attached to the battery and just sitting on my desk. I'll check and have at least 50% battery before I put it away. In the morning I pick it up and put it on, the battery shows orange, but the display is just black. I push buttons but nothing happens (AVP really needs a "low power mode" indication that the device needs to be plugged in like iPhone/Apple Watch, the all black is just disconcerting when it is on your face.) Plugging it in brings it back to life after 5-10 minutes.

I'm going to start shutting down every day the last time I use it, but it's just such a departure from every other Apple device I have, which I rarely have to power cycle.

Related to this - the battery really should have had more LEDs for the $200 price tag. Just the old four white LEDs that macbooks used to have, to indicate charge level. The light is either green or orange, and really not useful to know how much time you have left on battery.

DMG35

Contributor
May 27, 2021
With the recent outer screen cracking reports, I think the running theory is that it is something heat related (Maybe just running too hot, then being put into the sock so the fans no longer work.) But along those same lines - does Sleep just not really work on AVP? I've used it every day, and nearly every day the device will be dead in the morning if I leave it attached to the battery and just sitting on my desk. I'll check and have at least 50% battery before I put it away. In the morning I pick it up and put it on, the battery shows orange, but the display is just black. I push buttons but nothing happens (AVP really needs a "low power mode" indication that the device needs to be plugged in like iPhone/Apple Watch, the all black is just disconcerting when it is on your face.) Plugging it in brings it back to life after 5-10 minutes.

I'm going to start shutting down every day the last time I use it, but it's just such a departure from every other Apple device I have, which I rarely have to power cycle.

Related to this - the battery really should have had more LEDs for the $200 price tag. Just the old four white LEDs that macbooks used to have, to indicate charge level. The light is either green or orange, and really not useful to know how much time you have left on battery.

Same with mine. I'm hoping a software update fixes this issue. I've just been turning mine off every time I take it off now.

TLewis

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2007
I’ve been closing all windows before putting it away, and sleep does seem to work for me. I only experienced significant battery drain for the first couple days of ownership. Since then, the drain over a 12-18 hour period is maybe 15-20%. However, with the cracking issues, I’m now disconnecting the cable (and I now hate waiting for the AVP to boot up).

I think you’re on the right track for the cause. There’s some VisiosOS or app bug that’s effectively causing a runaway process to generate lots of heat, and charging exacerbates the problem by allowing unlimited amounts of heat to be produced.

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
Mine seems to be sleeping okay, but just to be cautious I’ve been leaving the front cover off for now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.