Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

finalfrontierapps

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2017

New Significant Update to the Original Sleep Tracker for Apple Watch, with a Complete Redesign of the iOS 11 and watchOS 4 apps. Brings new features such as live Resting Heart Rate tracking, and new graphics for visualizing your sleep.

*Now supports Sleep Talk recordings*

Sleep Pulse 3 Motion
View on App Store

promo_Shot.png

watchOS 4

• Bold Design, focused around simplicity while providing a detailed look at your sleep on Apple Watch. The app opens to your last sleep report with your sleep goal, sleep analysis, heart rate, and motion. The new Sleep Goal Ring and Analysis Donut Ring can be tapped for additional information.

• Sleep View, designed to provide context while you sleep including when you went to bed, how long you have been in bed for, and your live heart rate.

• Resting Heart Rate, upon wake your resting heart rate will be measured — a good measurement of your overall health.

• Sensitivity Level, because we all sleep differently and in different places (cars, boats, planes, camping etc) the sensitivity level for analyzing your sleep may be adjusted from the watch app.

• Complication Support, for best use add Sleep Pulse 3 to your watch face with a complication and see how much of your sleep goal you complete each night.

• iPhone Independent, away from your iPhone for a night? No problem Sleep Pulse 3 analyzes your full sleep without your iPhone, when connected it will sync the data. Get your sleep report directly on your Apple Watch.

watchIntroCompli.png

iOS 11

• Bold Look, Designed to provide a cleaner and clearer look at your sleep with vibrant colors, haptics, large text, sleep ring and sleep analysis charts.

• Sleep Metrics, metrics to explain your sleep include: Light Sleep, Deep Sleep, Restless, Slept Duration, In Bed, Fell Asleep, REM Estimate, Night Steps, Resting Heart Rate, Fell Asleep Heart Rate, Range of Heart Rate, Mode Heart Rate, Average Heart Rate

• Analysis Charts, see a breakdown ratio of how you slept on the sleep analysis donut chart. Also see detail of the type of motion that occurred during your sleep on the motion analysis donut chart.

• Sleep Tips, ? appear by all the metrics to explain your sleep, tap one to learn more.

• Track Trends, track Fell Asleep Duration, Slept Duration, and your Resting Heart Rate changes

• Night Mode, when screen brightness goes below 10% the interface will turn dark, cause also be enabled as the default theme in settings.

Optional integration of the Power Nap Add On. With the "Power Nap with Health Sync" app installed on your device you can now save and track your daily nap durations from your iPhone or Apple Watch in Sleep Pulse as well.

*Sleep Talk recordings are possible with the download the the separate "Sleep Talk" app, any data recorded with Sleep Talk will be playable from within Sleep Pulse 3*

Sleep Pulse 3 Motion

View on App Store

Last edited:

finalfrontierapps

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2017
Does this automatically detect sleep?

Sleep Pulse 3 on Apple Watch uses your motion and heart rate to analyze your sleep. As of watchOS 4 to retrieve this data a motion "session" must be started and stopped by a user while the app is active. Meaning to accurately track your sleep — auto tracking, for now, is not possible due to software limitations.

Any app that claims to accurately "auto-track your sleep" is misleading and should be avoided unless the main goal of said "sleep tracker" is solely to track when you go to bed and when you awake. Said apps only use your Heart Rate (only available every 5-10 min in the background on watchOS) to try and estimate your sleep based on a falling and raising rate when you sleep and wake in the morning. Any data of you sleep in between those two points will be almost useless without a motion analysis also. Motion allows for the quality of your sleep to be analyzed into light sleep, deep sleep, restless sleep, and potentially a REM estimate as well. Something any "auto-sleep" app with only a heart rate cannot do.

All apps that claim to "auto track" your sleep have been tested by the Sleep Pulse team, and motion is not used in the analysis. (Try turning off the motion permission for these said "sleep trackers" and you will notice they still somehow track your sleep).

Last edited:

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
Sleep Pulse 3 on Apple Watch uses your motion and heart rate to analyze your sleep. As of watchOS 4 to retrieve this data a motion "session" must be started and stopped by a user while the app is active. Meaning to accurately track your sleep — auto tracking, for now, is not possible due to software limitations.

Any app that claims to accurately "auto-track your sleep" is misleading and should be avoided unless the main goal of said "sleep tracker" is solely to track when you go to bed and when you awake. Said apps only use your Heart Rate (only available every 5-10 min in the background on watchOS) to try and estimate your sleep based on a falling and raising rate when you sleep and wake in the morning. Any data of you sleep in between those two points will be almost useless without a motion analysis also. Motion allows for the quality of your sleep to be analyzed into light sleep, deep sleep, restless sleep, and potentially a REM estimate as well. Something any "auto-sleep" app with only a heart rate cannot do.

All apps that claim to "auto track" your sleep have been tested by the Sleep Pulse team, and motion is not used in the analysis. (Try turning off the motion permission for these said "sleep trackers" and you will notice they still somehow track your sleep).

For me sleep truck mean :truck my heart bit # if it drop or go too high O2 % and alarm me for a problem, I am sleeping and rolling all the time but still sleeps

Last edited:

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2013
I actually just bought AutoSleep this morning, and am very curious how Sleep Pulse stacks up.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2013
Me too. Auto Sleep just had a big update yesterday. I just bought it a few weeks ago. Wonder which is better as well.

I purchased Sleep Pulse 3 in a bundle with Power Nap for $5.99 this afternoon. Want my subjective impressions in a few days?

Reactions: Minarets

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2013

I can come right back at you after night 1.

Sleep Pulse doesn’t work quite right. Not only do you have to manually start and stop it, but the “analysis” it does after you stop it takes forever, and you can’t let the Watch screen dim until it’s finished, or the analysis will fail.

AutoSleep, on the other hand, is fantastic, works amazingly well, and integrates with HeartWatch using your existing Health data. Plus, the developer just released an app called AutoWake that, as the name suggests, wakes you automatically in your lightest sleep. In my experience last night, all three of these apps were amazing. Disclaimer: maybe I’m doing it wrong, but I had to stop AutoSleep manually.

Those are my light impressions.

Minarets

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2011

Sleep Pulse doesn’t work quite right. Not only do you have to manually start and stop it, but the “analysis” it does after you stop it takes forever, and you can’t let the Watch screen dim until it’s finished, or the analysis will fail.

AutoSleep, on the other hand, is fantastic, works amazingly well, and integrates with HeartWatch using your existing Health data. Plus, the developer just released an app called AutoWake that, as the name suggests, wakes you automatically in your lightest sleep. In my experience last night, all three of these apps were amazing. Disclaimer: maybe I’m doing it wrong, but I had to stop AutoSleep manually.

Thanks. I liked the new updates to Auto Sleep. May just keep this one.
Thanks again.

Reactions: Dj64Mk7

finalfrontierapps

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2017

Thank you for trying Sleep Pulse, yes the app must be manually started and stopped as required by watchOS 4 for motion processing. The analysis should only take less than 30 seconds with a Series 1 watch and above for an average 8 hour sleep and the watch may be lowered as the screen will rotate and remain on during the analysis with watchOS 4.

Motion processing of starting and stopping allows for the quality of your sleep to be analyzed into light sleep, deep sleep, restless sleep, and potentially a REM estimate as well. Something any "auto-sleep" app with only a heart rate cannot do. Moreover the duration it took for you to fall asleep, your fell asleep heart rate, and your live resting heart rate, which is read upon wake and saved is possible with this sleep tracking method. And with the newest update, with the Sleep Talk Add On, listening for any sleep talking is a possibility.

For example REM or your Rapid-Eye-Movement cycle require motion to be analyzed, as in REM or the "Dream Stage" your heart rate may raise, however your body should be in a sleep paralysis with no motion so you do not act out your dreams. This can only more accurately be estimated with a motion and heart rate pairing.

aussieanimal

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2017
I’ve used the apps that automatically “track” your sleep. I’ve actually done minor research with sleep and though there is no perfect wearable sleep tracker this one is most on par with like a Fitbit results wise. Yes you must start and stop your sleep with this app, though I believe the developers claims this is mandatory of watchOS and not the app missing out. However you can rotate/lower your wrist while doing so and it’s over being you know it. The best sleep tracking uses brain waves. But motion and heart rate makes for a great combo. Worth a look, if not a pair with auto apps, incase you forget to start one night.

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
I’ve used the apps that automatically “track” your sleep. I’ve actually done minor research with sleep and though there is no perfect wearable sleep tracker this one is most on par with like a Fitbit results wise. Yes you must start and stop your sleep with this app, though I believe the developers claims this is mandatory of watchOS and not the app missing out. However you can rotate/lower your wrist while doing so and it’s over being you know it. The best sleep tracking uses brain waves. But motion and heart rate makes for a great combo. Worth a look, if not a pair with auto apps, incase you forget to start one night.

U R right no perfect App for night sleep yet that the reason I don't use it yet still waiting for one that will monitor the oxygen level and the minimum heart plus to wake you up when it happens don't really care if it night or day some people taking a nap between 2 and 4 PM.

Ted1887

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2017
Really can not get on with this app, very messy interface imo and I’m not sure how accurate it is, im a very light sleeper, I feel myself tossing and turning through the night but yet this app registers 5 to 6 hours deep sleep when every other app registers 1 hour.

Reactions: Dj64Mk7

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
Really can not get on with this app, very messy interface imo and I’m not sure how accurate it is, im a very light sleeper, I feel myself tossing and turning through the night but yet this app registers 5 to 6 hours deep sleep when every other app registers 1 hour.

HAHAHA me too very light sleeper I fill light I just snooze ,

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hi there OP ...

iPhone Independent, away from your iPhone for a night? No problem Sleep Pulse 3 analyzes your full sleep without your iPhone, when connected it will sync the data. Get your sleep report directly on your Apple Watch.
How does the app reconnect to the iPhone, Bluetooth or over WiFi or either? If I'm out sleeping at a friends place with no WiFi hopefully the data is sync'd over bluetooth? Also how many days of data will say a S2 Watch keep?

reading more about this app.

finalfrontierapps

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2017
Hi there OP ...

How does the app reconnect to the iPhone, Bluetooth or over WiFi or either? If I'm out sleeping at a friends place with no WiFi hopefully the data is sync'd over bluetooth? Also how many days of data will say a S2 Watch keep?

reading more about this app.

The app would reconnect via bluetooth and send the data over with watchOS when it connects back to your iPhone. The app only allows for the analysis of one night's data at a time. However, it will store as many night's as watchOS allocates memory for which can vary per device. In testing it is able to store at least three night's of data in the watch app, though more night's are very possible.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

cabrown

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2008
New update 3.07

Introduces a new Wake Mood saving option, scroll to the bottom of each sleep report in the iOS app to save your mood once you are ready for the day.
Select from:
• Refreshed, wake mood is great and your sleep was better than average.
• Neutral, wake mood is average
• Tired, wake mood is poor but your sleep could have been significantly better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.