Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
On my 2011 iMac with El Capitan i had my Display off set to 5 Minutes and Computer Sleep set to 3 Hours (Computer would automatically go to sleep in 3 hours if no activity is detected), Ever since i got my 2019 iMac with Mojave im puzzeled as to what i should have the Sleep setting set to because Apple doesn't have a seperate Display Sleep and Computer Sleep settings anymore and i absolutely despise that, I don't want to put the sleep setting on Mojave to 5 Minutes ( to basically put display and computer to sleep within 5 minutes) because sometimes i step away from the computer for more than 5 minutes and i wouldnt' want my iMac to go to sleep and wake up so many times per day,

At this current time i am left with basically setting the sleep setting set to 5 minutes BUT i have "Prevent imac from going to sleep with display off" setting enabled and i basically put the iMac to sleep manually whenever i know i'll be away from the computer for an extended period of time.

Does Catalina have the same sleep settings as Mojave or was it fixed/improved in catalina?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Does Catalina have the same sleep settings as Mojave or was it fixed/improved in catalina?
The sleep settings vary depending on hardware more than by operating system. Newer Macs don't have the separate system/display sleep options, but older ones do. I believe the cutoff was around 2013.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
The sleep settings vary depending on hardware more than by operating system. Newer Macs don't have the separate system/display sleep options, but older ones do. I believe the cutoff was around 2013.

My 2019 iMac doesn’t, what do you suggest to get around this inconivience of not having that control over when computer goes to sleep?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.