Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleSmack

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
I've got a problem with my new Das Keyboard, and I'm hoping someone here has solutions I could try.

Whenever the Mac goes to sleep for a while, the Das Keyboard loses its connection. Das Keyboard can't wake the Mac – even when I wake and log in with the built-in keyboard, the Das Keyboard isn't recognised at all. The Das Keyboard has a built in USB 3 hub which, ironically, continues to work just fine.

Here's the setup:
MacBook Pro 2016, 15 inch, 16gb, Radeon 460, 1tb, Sierra 10.12.4.
LG 5K monitor with built in USB hub.
New USB 3 hub.
Old USB 2 hub.
Das Keyboard 4 Professional for Mac (Model DASK4MACCLI-UK-3G7-r1.0, Part KBA-D4215A-UKM-E1-RC)

My old set up woke the Mac 100% of the time:
  • MBP --- LG 5K --- old USB 2 hub --- cheapo PC keyboard.
I've tried these setups, which never work after wake:
  • MBP --- LG 5K --- old USB 2 hub --- Das Keyboard.
  • MBP --- LG 5K --- new USB 3 hub --- Das Keyboard.
  • MBP --- LG 5K --- Das Keyboard.
The only things which work reliably
  • MBP --- Das Keyboard (BUT connecting the Das Keyboard directly to the MBP isn't an option – I want the 'one cable to the LG 5K' set up that I've always used.)
  • Reboot every time.
  • Unplug/replug the Das Keyboard every time.
I've also tried:
  • SMC reset.
  • NVRAM reset.
  • Power off everything.
Tech support told me that internally, the Das Keyboard is configured like:
USB 3 hub --- USB 2 keyboard

Apart from this dealbreaker sleep/wake issue, it's an awesome hefty beautiful noisy keyboard, and I really don't want to send it back.
Any ideas what I can do to make this work reliably?

Porkchop Sandwich

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2017
I have a similar set-up as you with two exceptions. I am using a mid '14 13" rMBP and I do not use a dock. I plug my Das into an Apple branded dongle that is plugged straight into the 5K. I've not had any issue as you've described but on a rare occasion the keyboard as a whole will just stop working altogether. Unplug/plug back in fixes it immediately. Frankly, it happens so infrequently that it's hardly worth mention.

When waking from sleep I tap the return key several times..it can be slow to wake at times, but it does wake reliably. (my mbp is always in clamshell mode)

Something that is noteworthy..my setup goes through fits every so often and the Das suddenly stops recognizing an external drive connected to one of its USB ports. It will also just suddenly, out of the blue, dismount sometimes also. No rhyme or reason to it so far as I can detect. One other anomaly to mention; if I have a usb stick mounted in the 5K and two external drives connected to the Das USB ports (spinning drives)..it doesn't want to play nice as if it's some sort of overload.

I hope my feedback helps and please keep this thread updated. Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: AppleSmack

AppleSmack

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
Thanks so much for your informative reply, @Porkchop Sandwich. Trying it now, with the Das connected through an Apple USBC to A dongle. I'll report back soon.

AppleSmack

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
Thanks so much for your informative reply, @Porkchop Sandwich. Trying it now, with the Das connected through an Apple USBC to A dongle. I'll report back soon.

Connecting the keyboard with the Apple dongle woke the Mac from sleep and worked. Once. Since then, we're back to square one with this problem.

This long-running thread at Apple's support forum shows this isn't just Das Keyboard's problem, and that a USB extension cable solved it:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5470234?start=120&tstart=0
I suspect it's something to do with Apple's USB implementation, because I've never had this problem in my XX years of using computers.

Some people on that thread say a USB hub fixed the problem, unfortunately that didn't work for me.

I've now got a USB3 extension cable on the way... fingers crossed o_O

Porkchop Sandwich

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2017
Connecting the keyboard with the Apple dongle woke the Mac from sleep and worked. Once. Since then, we're back to square one with this problem.

This long-running thread at Apple's support forum shows this isn't just Das Keyboard's problem, and that a USB extension cable solved it:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5470234?start=120&tstart=0
I suspect it's something to do with Apple's USB implementation, because I've never had this problem in my XX years of using computers.

Some people on that thread say a USB hub fixed the problem, unfortunately that didn't work for me.

I've now got a USB3 extension cable on the way... fingers crossed o_O

Wow, sorry to learn. That’s definitely interesting when you consider the fact that I’m using a 2014 vs your 2016 MBP while pretty much everything else between our set-ups is the same. The only inherent variable that I failed to mention is the fact that my 5K connects to my computer through yet another Apple branded dongle > Apple branded TB cable > mbp. Don’t know why that would, or “should” matter, but there it is. Good luck and I hope you get it sorted.

Reactions: AppleSmack

AppleSmack

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
Update:

I've tried one USB extension cable, I've tried 2 daisy chained cables, and still no joy.

Judging by the model number "DASK4MACCLI-UK-3G7-r1.0", this is version 1.0 hardware/firmware.

For anyone whose Das Keyboard works fine and has no sleep/wake issues, please could you post your model number and part number? (It's on the sticker under the keyboard)

Porkchop Sandwich

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2017
Wish I could help you out but due to a few sticky keys, I sent mine off to DAS. I am beyond the return privilege window but they have agreed to refund my $$.

I have a Matias for my iMac and a Filco (ninga) for my laptop. They are both very nice keyboards fwiw. If you like the feel of the DAS, I suspect you would LOVE the feel of the Filco, it's superior IMO. (no usb ports though)

Good luck with your setup!

AppleSmack

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
Thanks for your reply @Porkchop Sandwich.

My Das is being sent back today – how sad, it really had everything I wanted apart from the big sleep/wake problem.

I had considered the Matias, though the shiny casing wasn't ideal – it does look like a good match for what I want nonetheless. The Filco looks fantastic, though looks like a PC layout.

Am I asking too much...?
  • Keyboard with number pad
  • UK layout
  • Mac layout (I've used PC keyboards with Macs by remapping the modifier keys, and while the keyboard works well, some key combinations that I use frequently with Creative Cloud are in different places... which means that shifting from working on my PC keyboard at home to a Mac keyboard at work results in constant readjustment of muscle memory, or pressing the wrong keys at the wrong time. If I didn't have to work on other keyboards, I'd just choose whichever PC mechanical keyboard I want.
  • Clicky switches (I really like the Greetech Blue in the Das, as I find them smoother and lighter than Cherry Blue. Though it looks like everyone else who supplies UK Mac keyboards uses Cherry Blue only, so I'll likely have to accept that).
  • Couldn't care less: USB hub, RGB disco lights, mac-specific media keys, hidden footbar ruler.
In the meantime, I've bought Apple's plain old wired aluminium keyboard. The search continues...

distfp

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2017
(...)
The Filco looks fantastic, though looks like a PC layout.
(...)

Fyi, I have a Filco (Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless) and I have the same problem you described. I tried to fix it with a USB extension cable, but it doesn't work. (However I kept the extension cable as it makes re-plugging the keyboard easier than having to blindly fiddle with the connector at the back of the iMac!)

AppleSmack

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
(However I kept the extension cable as it makes re-plugging the keyboard easier than having to blindly fiddle with the connector at the back of the iMac!)

Good idea, that would also save wear on the socket. You can also get USB hubs with switches - I've not tried one, but I expect you could flick it off then on to simulate re-plugging.

AppleSmack

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
Sorry for bringing this back from the grave, but I'm also running into this problem.

Has anyone been able to solve this?

Sorry to hear that this is STILL a problem with Macs. As much as I'd love to be using a mech keyboard, this problem is a dealbreaker, and I've settled with using Apple's Magic Keyboard.

Why do only some Macs or some keyboards have this problem? I'm sure we're in the minority with this problem. Surely there are people out there using Macs with 3rd party keyboards, with no problems at all.

dylan_benden

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2021
I kept my beloved Das Keyboard on-site at work, it worked like a champ for 5+ years without a hitch.

But then this last year, now that I'm working at home, it disconnects frequently.

At first, I blamed my 2013 Mac Pro. It seemed zippy enough, but 2013 was a long time ago. I was feeling fancy, so I splurged on a new iMac. And about the third or fourth time it went to sleep, my keyboard lost connection.

Obviously, it's was time for a new Das Keyboard. ?

Today, my brand new Das Keyboard lost connection with my week-old iMac. And for a solid minute, I was dumbstruck to explain how *completely new equipment* is showing an issue that only emerged recently on *much older equipment*.

? ? ?

But it appears that I have stumbled into a years-old issue that never got fixed, and I never knew about it until I started working from home and didn't use one of those janky hub-dongles any more.

And now it's time to start shopping for janky hub-dongles...

dylan_benden

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2021
But it appears that I have stumbled into a years-old issue that never got fixed, and I never knew about it until I started working from home and didn't use one of those janky hub-dongles any more.

It also occurs to me that I used to have a usage pattern where I would unplug from my desk and replug in several times a day. Still, I think I'm going to investigate the hub-dongle theory next.

RUQRU

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2011
***WITSEC***
Today, my brand new Das Keyboard lost connection with my week-old iMac. And for a solid minute, I was dumbstruck to explain how *completely new equipment* is showing an issue that only emerged recently on *much older equipment*.

? ? ?

This is also happening on my iMac M1. It also happened on my 2017 iMac 27". Seems this issue has persisted for years with no solution. There is no pattern to the failure. Sometimes it wakes up fine and other times I have to unplug it to reconnect.

I have an MX Master 3 mouse connected via USB Unifying Receiver and it never fails. May have to switch to the MX Master Mac keyboard.

HenryAZ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2010
South Congress AZ
I've been using the same dasKeyboard for almost 10 years, the Professional Model S for Mac. I started using it when it came out in 2012, first with a 2011 Mini, then on to a 2013 Trash Can, and currently on a 2018 Mini. I've never experienced any kind of disconnect (or any other issues). I have always plugged it into a USB-A port on the Mac directly, because I want to ensure it is always there at every stage of the boot/install process. I keep a wired Mighty Mouse in a drawer for the same reason, as it is occasionally needed. I've never tried using it on a Mac without a USB-A port, but perhaps the Apple Thunderbolt->USB-A adapter/dongle (A1632) would work for that. I don't enable the USB hub on the keyboard, and my Macs never sleep.

RUQRU

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2011
***WITSEC***
I've never experienced any kind of disconnect (or any other issues)... I don't enable the USB hub on the keyboard, and my Macs never sleep.
That is the key difference - sleep. They problem only happens when waking the Mac. I am now using a Logitech MX Keys for Mac via the Unifying Reciever and have zero issues so far.

meltix

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2022
I have the same problem and stumble upon this: https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/167291/suddenly-apple-wired-keyboard-not-working

It seems the keyboard consumes so little power that it fails to start after sleeping. One fix seems to connect something to the USB Hub on the keyboard itself to consume more power and keep it on.

For me, this problem started when I switch to a Macbook Pro M1 Max via a ThunderBolt 4 hub (Caldigit Element Hub).

Before I was using a Macbook Pro (mid-2012) via a USB Hub on the back of a ThunderBolt display.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.