Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pravda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2008
Philly
I've been a watch guy since i could tell time, and I've always worn them to bed with me.
I got use to having something on my wrist at all times, and also it helps knowing how much longer i have before the alarm wakes me up.
I got my Watch last week and been wearing it while i sleep. One of the biggest benefits to me is waking up to physical taps on your wrist instead of an audio alarm. It also helps greatly that i don't wake up my wife as her alarm is usually set 30-45 minutes after mine.

I've been trying to charge the watch to 100% before bedtime (if my work schedule allows) and usually wake up 6-7 hours later with the watch in the mid to high 80s and sometimes as high as 91% on the battery. I then proceed to wear the watch and head to work. Last few days at work the watch has been around 20% by the end of my 13 hour shift. I only use the watch at work for some iPhone app notifications (FB, Mail, WhatsApp,etc), text replies to my contacts and to send taps/drawings/HR to my better half. I have about 6 apps installed (for now), text set to bold, haptic all the way up and brightness to the middle.

Anyone else getting similar numbers?

Are you guys topping the battery off while getting dressed in the morning as well?

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I've been a watch guy since i could tell time, and I've always worn them to bed with me.
I got use to having something on my wrist at all times, and also it helps knowing how much longer i have before the alarm wakes me up.
I got my Watch last week and been wearing it while i sleep. One of the biggest benefits to me is waking up to physical taps on your wrist instead of an audio alarm. It also helps greatly that i don't wake up my wife as her alarm is usually set 30-45 minutes after mine.

I've been trying to charge the watch to 100% before bedtime (if my work schedule allows) and usually wake up 6-7 hours later with the watch in the mid to high 80s and sometimes as high as 91% on the battery. I then proceed to wear the watch and head to work. Last few days at work the watch has been around 20% by the end of my 13 hour shift. I only use the watch at work for some iPhone app notifications (FB, Mail, WhatsApp,etc), text replies to my contacts and to send taps/drawings/HR to my better half. I have about 6 apps installed (for now), text set to bold, haptic all the way up and brightness to the middle.

Are you guys topping the battery off while getting dressed in the morning as well?

Sounds like you might need to but 20% at the end of the day is not bad. I have an extra charging puck at my office but return home everyday with around 40% left on the battery.

Reactions: 01silver4

papashaun

macrumors member
May 1, 2015
I wear mine at night as well - same reason as OP - for the alarm
Usually have about 40% battery at bed time - charge it when I get up during morning coffee and the other stuff - only takes about an hour to charge back up to 100%

Also if you do use the alarm on your phone you can dismiss the phone alarm on the watch so no fumbling for the phone on the bedside table

Reactions: Pravda

Pravda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2008
Philly
I wear mine at night as well - same reason as OP - for the alarm
Usually have about 40% battery at bed time - charge it when I get up during morning coffee and the other stuff - only takes about an hour to charge back up to 100%

Also if you do use the alarm on your phone you can dismiss the phone alarm on the watch so no fumbling for the phone on the bedside table

Thanks for the reply.
I will top off the battery in morning before I head out to work.

bnekic

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2013
Cleveland, OH
I wear my watch all day then go to sleep with it since I can set a silent alarm so I don't wake up my wife. Then when I get up I put it on the charger first thing and by the time I go to work it's almost fully charged.

c2one

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2007
Same boat as others.... wear it all day and to bed. Wake up, place it on charger and right before I head out for the day, put on my watch which is fully charged.

No need to 'top it off' before bed.

Reactions: jaymc

amirite

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2009
What's the point of sleeping with the watch if it doesn't track sleeping?
Waking up and glancing at notifications or the time. It's less distracting and less likely to keep you awake than doing the same with your phone. There's also heart rate monitoring if you're into that. I've slept in mine every day. Being woken up by taps is wonderful.

Too bad it doesn't track sleep. I'm sure a software update could add that feature. It's just that Apple isn't going to promote sleep tracking as a feature when it can't even last 24 hours.

Reactions: 01silver4

Pravda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2008
Philly
Waking up and glancing at notifications or the time. It's less distracting and less likely to keep you awake than doing the same with your phone. There's also heart rate monitoring if you're into that. I've slept in mine every day. Being woken up by taps is wonderful.

Too bad it doesn't track sleep. I'm sure a software update could add that feature. It's just that Apple isn't going to promote sleep tracking as a feature when it can't even last 24 hours.

100% Agrred. Something about waking up to a tap rather than an audible alarm feels much more natural. I use to use Jawbone Up bracelet for sleep analysis, and enjoyed tracking my REM sleep cycles.
As you, I'm hoping Apple brings software for sleep tracking soon.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
Anyone know if the screen is constantly waking whle you sleep?
I mean does the arm-raise sensor ever get triggered by a restless sleeper?

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
I would be interested in the impact on your iPhone battery life. NPR did a review on the watch where the reviewer left his fully charged watch and iPhone off the charger all night, the phone dropped to 69% after 7 hours of NOTHING happening while he slept.

I'm sure you leave your phone on the charger so this doesn't necessarily impact you. I have a charger in my car, so this would not be a problem for me either ... I'm just curious about the impact on the watch on the phone's battery, as this will affect you during the day. It would seem that with minimal activity the power drain is about 1:3 in favor of the watch.

BlueMoon63

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2015

I actually get better numbers... I have a 42mm version...

Around 9pm, I take my watch off to charge back to 100% and by 10pm I put it back on and set the silent alarm. Around 5am when the silent alarm taps me awake, the battery is always at 94%. I recently started changing the raise wrist to activate to off at bedtime and I wake to 94-95% 7-8 hours later.

I workout for an hour using the workout app and it is around 80-85% with the HR monitor running the whole time. When I shower, I charge the battery and it is back to 100% 10-15 minutes later.

Each night when I charge, the battery is about 50% or higher. If it is a golf night and I use the workout app for 3+ hours and 1000+ calories the battery is around 25-30% by 9pm. The activity app on those days has around 2000 calories burned, 200 minutes of workout time and 14-16 hours of standing.

Battery has never been an issue and I know sleep tracking is planned, but the silent alarm is a huge blessing if you have a spouse/SO.

BlueMoon63

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2015
Anyone know if the screen is constantly waking whle you sleep?
I mean does the arm-raise sensor ever get triggered by a restless sleeper?

It does for me when I struggle to sleep but that is typically when I roll over. If I am laying there, I have to typically touch the screen to see the time so I turn off raise wrist to activate during sleep time and turn it back on in the morning.

BlueMoon63

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2015
Oh, I thought he meant shave, se*, shower...

I like your version better but the three most common S's in the morning sadly don't include se* - especially for most couples after several years. lol

Some need a cup of coffee before they can get the last S out...

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT

Last night I topped off the Watch just before I crawled into bed. I put the Watch on, turned on the muted tap alarm and then put the Watch in airplane mode. Watch got me up and had about 93% battery life. Watch battery is currently at 3h10m Usage, 14h46m stand with 59% battery remaining.

orev

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2015
Depending on how long your commute is, you could charge in the car to top it off. Between that and charging when you're in the shower, could keep you going without any problems.

Ben_Dover

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2015

This is mine. 100% noon yesterday. Did 2 hour run with music. After the run it was 81%. Yeah battery drains exponentially. Now it's 1100 am and I just woke up.it must've been 60% when I went to bed at 5am this morning.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 69
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.