Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JMac1996

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2016
Germany, Flensburg
Hey Guys, ;)

so as you can read I am interested if there is a way to shutdown the new Macbook Pro's 2016 by jsut closing the lid.
Are there Apps, which allow this kind of actions? o_O

Also I would like to get some more information about the stock sleep mode from Apple.
When I close my Macbook Pro, the fans are spinning a while before they stop. That's what drives me crazy.

I am a student and I would love to close my Macbook Pro and slip it into my bag.
Of course I don't want to do that when the machine is on. (Happened once with an Dell XPS 15. It was active in my Bag. When I arrived home, the whole bag was hot and the Dell was overheated. Not damaged, but it refused to turn on until it was cooled down.) :eek:

So I never ever wanna experience this kind of stuff with my new Macbook Pro, so is there a way to just close the Macbook and put it in a bag?

How does the Sleep mode handle that kind of usage? :confused:

Thank you for your advice. :)

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I see you've been making the most of the new emoji bar!

In answer to your question: there isn't a native way way I know of to set it to shut down when closing the lid, like you can in Windows. Possibly somebody here may be able to suggest a third-party application. However just closing it and putting it in your bag while the fans are still spinning won't do any harm; people have been doing that for years.

You won't encounter the same issues as you did with your DELL XPS.

Reactions: JMac1996

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I actually have incurred the same issues, where I thought the MBP was asleep, but it didn't fully come down, pulled it out of my bag, its was hot and the fans were blasting.

So I never ever wanna experience this kind of stuff with my new Macbook Pro, so is there a way to just close the Macbook and put it in a bag?
My advice is to then shut the mac down, and not assume closing the lid will be sufficient.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I actually have incurred the same issues, where I thought the MBP was asleep, but it didn't fully come down, pulled it out of my bag, its was hot and the fans were blasting.

Which model/year MBP did you have please?

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
2012 rMBP

Ah, 15"? The flakey dGPUs which have a repair program frequently cause issues with sleep...

Yeah, ignore my original advice OP, I'm assuming you'll be getting a dGPU 15", so best to shut down to err on the side of caution.

JMac1996

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2016
Germany, Flensburg
Thanks for replying so fast. :)

yeah the emoji bar is a cool feature I know :D

Sad to hear, that there are no aproved third party Apps/Programms for that. :rolleyes:

Not so sure about that. o_O Like maflynn also reported, I managed to run my new Macbook Pro 2016 hot already. Don't know how hot exactly, but I don't want to slip it into a bag at this szenario.

How does a Macbook Pro handle the fans into sleep mode? Will they kick in if they are needed?
Biggest nightmare so far is, that the fans kick in into the bag and sucking tons of dust or **** from the bag into the ventilation system of this thin machine. :mad::confused:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
yeah the emoji bar is a cool feature I know :D
Like many things in life, less is more - I think most people here prefer not to be inundated with emojis ;)

How does a Macbook Pro handle the fans into sleep mode?
If the machine is in full sleep mode, then their will not be any power to the fans and they shouldn't be needed, since the processor is no longer working

JMac1996

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2016
Germany, Flensburg
Like many things in life, less is more - I think most people here prefer not to be inundated with emojis ;)

Thanks, yeah sounds good. Let's keep forums formal and informative.

If the machine is in full sleep mode, then their will not be any power to the fans and they shouldn't be needed, since the processor is no longer working

Hmm, does this count also for the new (2016) ones?
Unlike previous generations the fans are spinning now constantly (almost unhearable).
I didn't tested it in detail, but when I close the lid, the fans seems like to continue spinning for some seconds/minutes.
I will test it today in more detail and report back.

I do have some time before my class starts, but I wanna find some BB's for my personal peace.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Hmm, does this count also for the new (2016) ones?
I don't own a new 2016 MBP, so I can't say for sure, but the idea of sleep is that the power is only being drawn by the ram, nearly everything else is dormant. The Power Nap feature allows it to wake up from time to time to check for emails or other things but its my understand if your computer is asleep, the fans won't be running. I could be wrong and its possible that Apple changed things up for the new model.

Either way, I recommend shutting it down just to be safe.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
How does a Macbook Pro handle the fans into sleep mode? Will they kick in if they are needed?

No they will not. Your issue is not that the fans are coming on in sleep mode, because they won't. Your issue is something is preventing it from entering sleep mode to begin with and you need to figure out what that is.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204760

Try the steps at the bottom of this page.

Also, run the pmset command described here to see what might be keeping it awake.

Reactions: CoastalOR
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.