Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
Testing out some iOS 9 ready apps I've noticed they just appear in the slide over view like a new widget waiting to be enabled. I imagine the more and more apps that have this feature built in the more and more apps will appear in the slide over view.

I'd like to choose what apps appear in the slide over view. Can anyone confirm how the slide over view is configured?

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I thought it was based on what apps you have used most recently and what apps you are using most often. I don't think there is a setting to alter it. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong hopefully.
Yeah, imagine if, in the future, you have a hundred+ apps that support split-screen and have to scroll like mad to find that one app you want to multitask with.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
First it will slide in the app that is next to the open app in the multitasking switcher. You then slide down from the top of slide over and it reveals a list of apps...not really sure what order they're in because Microsoft Word was at the top of mine and PowerPoint is in the middle...those aren't at the beginning of the alphabet.

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
First it will slide in the app that is next to the open app in the multitasking switcher. You then slide down from the top of slide over and it reveals a list of apps...not really sure what order they're in because Microsoft Word was at the top of mine and PowerPoint is in the middle...those aren't at the beginning of the alphabet.
It probably is. (W: top, p: middle) :)

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
The point of Proactive Siri is to predict what you might use during different parts of your day and present those apps to save you time. I open the same three apps every morning and every morning those apps are in my Proactive Siri (slide over) waiting for me to open them. In fact, Health is on my lock screen waiting to get me started. During the day, the apps that show are typically my recently opened apps since it has not found a pattern in my use. It won't since during the middle of the day my app usage is random and based on what I happen to be doing at the moment. In the evenings and when I get in the car, Music will be on the list because I listen to Music when I exercise which happens about the same time each day.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The point of Proactive Siri is to predict what you might use during different parts of your day and present those apps to save you time. I open the same three apps every morning and every morning those apps are in my Proactive Siri (slide over) waiting for me to open them. In fact, Health is on my lock screen waiting to get me started. During the day, the apps that show are typically my recently opened apps since it has not found a pattern in my use. It won't since during the middle of the day my app usage is random and based on what I happen to be doing at the moment. In the evenings and when I get in the car, Music will be on the list because I listen to Music when I exercise which happens about the same time each day.
So is that to say all or some of that is somehow related to split view?

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
So is that to say all or some of that is somehow related to split view?
Ahh, Split View. When I read slide over I read (to me) Proactive Siri which you slide over to find from the home screen. Once I had it in my head from the title that is what we were talking about all other posts had that context. So, ignore what I added as it relates to another feature that you slide over to use. Oops.

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
1. Pro active Siri for me has only showed the last apps I've used.

2. I'd prefer to not scroll through random apps when I slide in an app.

I think there are some random apps I'll never open like find my phone?

I'd like to pin some "feed" typed apps like social media(Twitter, Instagram, fb) to the top along with notes and calculator.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I would like the app list more if it used a list format versus an icon format. It would allow more to fit within the list with less scroll top to bottom. With stock apps we only had a few to look at but going forward this is going to be a large list to scroll through.

Reactions: eyeseeyou

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
I would like the app list more if it used a list format versus an icon format. It would allow more to fit within the list with less scroll top to bottom. With stock apps we only had a few to look at but going forward this is going to be a large list to scroll through.

Text I imagine would require less resources vs caching/loading images.

The way apple works with these types of annoyances I assume it'll be a feature in iOS 10.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.