Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Star Destroyer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2006
Thats it, my palm rests on my macbook are faintly yellowing.. Its really faint, barely noticable by all. My question is this - should i call apple care and try to get a new palm rest installed to replace the yellowing one just to have it yellow again in 2 more months OR should i wait, deal with the yellow and then get it replaced when this issue is finally settled?

I live 4 hours from the nearest store so i would have to ship it, and i dont want to take the chance of the techs not seeing the yellow, or thinking its not bad enough to replace and send it back, or having to ship it again in 2 months...
So has the palm rest issue been resolved permanently ?

ripfrankwhite

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2005
From what I understand, the issue has been corrected, and the new units are not susceptible to the discoloring. Be warned that if they can barely see the yellowing, then they may send you back home until it is very noticeable. Good luck

ashley

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2006
I'd just go ahead and do it. The issue's resolved, and they're going to replace it if you ship it. Mine was barely noticeable except in bright light too.

It's only going to get worse though, so I would just do it now while you can still live without it. :)

Star Destroyer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2006
So how long do these repairs usually take to be shipped and fixed and returned?

I live in canada so would it ship back to California or an apple store in Canada?
how does it work?

ashley

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2006
Mine took four business days - shipped it Tuesday, it was returned on a Monday.

Jamesw

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2006
Wow you have to shop yours to Cali? I live in Ontario and dropped it off at a local 3rd party Apple repair store that they told me to go to. Still havent gotten it back yet though.

Star Destroyer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2006
haha yes see thats the concern, in my city we dont have any apple stores, Toronto might be the closest. And the Apple retailers, well we might have 1, and its super sketchy i wouldnt leave my macbook with them...

Macmadant

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2005
i'd go, definitely, i presume you can notice it, (i notice everything wrong with something, that's the curse of being a perfectionist, i'll buy something then i won't be happy with it) but if he can't just go back as the colouring increases

drake

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2005
Mine is a week 26, and showing signs of discoloration...so its not cured yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.