Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beachmusic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
St. George Island
I have been using a pair of HomePods with my 4K Apple TV. I decided to switch to Sling TV from Fubo TV. I can't get audio on the Sling TV app. Fubo, YouTube Netflix all work fine. Any ideas?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Same here. It must be that the Sling app isn’t coded to have that ability. Submit feedback to Sling or ask their support.

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
The Sling app doesn't support audio over AirPlay. I went a few rounds with their support over it last year. They basically said they have no plans to support it.

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
I’m actually having the opposite problem...I’ve used Fubo with my stereo homepods for a long time but a few weeks ago Fubo randomly stopped outputting to them. Every other app on my Apple TV works fine still. Any ideas?

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
I have been using a pair of HomePods with my 4K Apple TV. I decided to switch to Sling TV from Fubo TV. I can't get audio on the Sling TV app. Fubo, YouTube Netflix all work fine. Any ideas?

FYI, for anyone considering Sling for their streaming TV desires and want to be able to use HomePods as the audio out. The new Default Audio/Home Theater features of tvOS/audioOS 14.2 don’t require to an app to support sending audio over AirPlay to HomePods.

B/D

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2016
FYI, for anyone considering Sling for their streaming TV desires and want to be able to use HomePods as the audio out. The new Default Audio/Home Theater features of tvOS/audioOS 14.2 don’t require to an app to support sending audio over AirPlay to HomePods.

Wait a minute... if the new default audio option setting isn´t using airplay to route all Apple TV audio to the Homepods (including menu sounds), then what protocol is using?.

Very interesting.

northcountryboy

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2013
I use Sling to watch English Premier league so this is annoying. My experience has been that the audio basically 'flickers' in and out when watching Sling using the homepod as the default audio. Interestingly if I watch the game from the NBCSports app then there is no problem. But if it is a game on Peacock then the problem returns

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
Wait a minute... if the new default audio option setting isn´t using airplay to route all Apple TV audio to the Homepods (including menu sounds), then what protocol is using?.

Very interesting.

I suspect it probably is using AirPlay, but... the implementation is different? From what I understand selecting the option for "default audio output" just sends all audio, including ATV menu sounds, etc., to the HomePods. Whereas selecting the speakers via the Control Center only sends audio for the video you are watching. That's my best explanation.

I tested this using the CBSN app on my ATV because this app does not currently support AirPlay audio. If you're watching a stream and choose the AirPlay speakers from the Control Center the audio will not come from the speakers. It will stay coming from the TV speakers. However, setting the default audio option forces the audio to come from the HomePods.

@North Country Boy is correct. I did notice a bit of audio "flickering" in the CBSN app, but it settled down for me after a bit.

Reactions: B/D
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.