Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shacky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2008
Would love to have the SlingBox player app on the new ATV. Right now there is one for iPad and you have to Airplay to the ATV. An app on the ATV would be so much nicer. Anyone think it's coming?

Reactions: TheAppleFairy

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
If they make it like the Roku app, it's not much different than using Airplay. If they make it a native app, I'm sure they'll charge for it, unfortunately. Which would be 3 different apps to pay for (iPhone, iPad, AppleTV).

It would be nice though.

shacky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2008
If they make it like the Roku app, it's not much different than using Airplay. If they make it a native app, I'm sure they'll charge for it, unfortunately. Which would be 3 different apps to pay for (iPhone, iPad, AppleTV).

It would be nice though.

As a cord cutter, I would pay for the additional app gladly.

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately
I bought the ATV 2 the day it was released and have been waiting for an app store to open on it since that day. We have a slingbox at my in-laws house in Japan.

I don't think slingbox is doing that great as a company though. I could be wrong, but I wonder if they have the budget to bother with an app. Or maybe an app for ATV could help boost their sales.

tgwaste

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Don't count on it. The new sling boxes have a Mac/pc/mobile app that's free now but they are no longer making apps for 3rd party players cause the people who run sling media are horrendously stupid.

Who knows maybe they'll wake up for apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.