Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zotaccian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2012
I just got PowerBook G4 laptop with UJ-825C and it had disc stuck inside. Ejecting the disc was not possible, the drive tried but failed. Now I have taken the machine apart and removed the drive from it.

I opened the drive and removed the disc. When I connected the drive to computer with USB adapter I noticed that the drive will get confused whether or not there is a disc and repeat seek / eject cycle. The drive laser seems to be working because it reads the discs fine if I manually insert one when top cover is removed and the connect the drive to computer.

I wonder if some of the mechanisms are stuck? Never had this issue so I don't know what to look for.

Attached couple pictures, in those pictures the drive is apparently in "disc inserted" mode because the metal latch has raised and is blocking the slot.

I don't know much about this machine's history, but the screwdriver bit seen in the last picture was inside the machine, I don't think it belongs there :D The machine has other cosmetic faults as well but it did power on to OS X 10.4.11 and everything seemed to be working, except for the optical drive.

Attachments

• 1709737065790.jpg
    1709737065790.jpg
    340.8 KB · Views: 79
  • 1709737065775.jpg
    1709737065775.jpg
    557.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 1709737065755.jpg
    1709737065755.jpg
    457 KB · Views: 27
  • 1709738135464.jpg
    1709738135464.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 24

barracuda156

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2021
> Ejecting the disc was not possible, the drive tried but failed

I have a PowerBook with this issue now. I fed it OpenBSD install DVD hoping for an easier installation, it ended up eating it and unable to eject.

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
I bought a iBook G4 which has this problem. That's an annoying downside with the slot-loading so called "superdrives" that it's a nightmare removing something as simple as a jammed disc, especially due to the difficulty in disassembling that generation of Apple laptops because of the arduous process involved.

Last edited:

Zotaccian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2012
Something is definetely wrong with this drive, I don't know if some controller chip is defective or some mechanisms are misaligned or what.

When just connecting the drive it starts to go through this cycle endlessly:

but If I place disc manually when the cover is removed it reads it fine.

EDIT: and yes, the laser beam is blocked in the video 😀

Last edited:

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2013
Every slot load I have on PowerPC Macs has failed. They just eat them and don't spit out correctly. With time comes wear and tear.

I bought a stupid cheap ($5 from a "pallet store") USB CD/DVD/ACRONYM drive that wasn't a slot loader. Since it was just $5, it was worth the risk and it worked.

barracuda156

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2021
I bought a iBook G4 which has this problem. That's annoying downside with the slot-loading so called "superdrives" that it's a nightmare removing a jammed disc, especially due to difficulty in disassembling that generation of Apple laptops.

Is it possible btw without disassembling for PowerBooks (2005)? 15" model if that matters.

barracuda156

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2021
Every slot load I have on PowerPC Macs has failed. They just eat them and don't spit out correctly. With time comes wear and tear.

For the record, both my PowerMacs work fine with built-in DVD drives. None of the three PowerBooks works though, I think.

danjal

Cancelled
Mar 4, 2024
My go to tool for my slot load CD drive

Attachments

• IMG_0198.jpeg
    IMG_0198.jpeg
    323.9 KB · Views: 24

Zotaccian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2012
I'm wondering whether or not the mechanisms are working wrong way somehow. Now the drive is in "empty mode" at least for the front door which should block you from inserting another disc while one is already there, the door is down.

However that white lever or whatever it's called on the right won't move at all. With working drive that lever is the thing which resists a bit when you insert a disc, when the drive detects that user is inserting disc the mechanisms will then carry on from there.

With this drive when the drive is in "disc inserted" mode that white lever will the move out of the way if you push it with a disc. To me it seems like it's working wrong way, but I'm not sure.

Of course optical drives are a thing of past and I should be able to install Leopard from USB disk if I wanted, but it would still be nice to fix it since the laser works fine.

Attachments

• IMG_20240311_152728.jpg
    IMG_20240311_152728.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 23

Zotaccian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2012
Maybe the motor is too tired. If I disconnect part X which connections sections 1 and 2 then the drive able to move the mechanism on the right all the way down and set the lever to a position which allows disc insertion. That lever however is not what initiates disc pull like I thought at on point, it's the one on the back. When the part X is disconnected the drive tray will not move to correct position since section 1 is not connected, but if everything is prepared beforehand then the drive is able to pull the disc in, but then fail to eject, maybe because of the motor, I don't know.

Attachments

• IMG_20240312_114934.jpg
    IMG_20240312_114934.jpg
    455.9 KB · Views: 27
Maybe the motor is too tired. If I disconnect part X which connections sections 1 and 2 then the drive able to move the mechanism on the right all the way down and set the lever to a position which allows disc insertion. That lever however is not what initiates disc pull like I thought at on point, it's the one on the back. When the part X is disconnected the drive tray will not move to correct position since section 1 is not connected, but if everything is prepared beforehand then the drive is able to pull the disc in, but then fail to eject, maybe because of the motor, I don't know.

I am aware, before going further, how a once-over with a proper spindle motor/gear oil on every moving joint, pivot, and cog spindle may be something you’ve already gone through, but it bears asking nevertheless. The reasoning here is with the ageing of capacitors, coupled with loss of physical movement efficiency, tends to lead to capacitors not sending enough power to things like actuated sensors (like the lever detecting a disk being inserted) or motors, and it either causes things to quit prematurely or cycle, ad nauseam.

This is a hypothesis only, as I have not dealt with this problem specifically. I have re-lubricated an old combo drive (also Matsushita) in this manner, and in that case, it reduced the frequency of slot-load discs from “half-ejecting” when trying to eject them. By the same token, I have tried similarly with a vintage Sony Discman, knowing full well it might not make a difference (i.e., a model known for needing new capacitors anyhow). It made no difference in that case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.