Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

np1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2022
2012 13 inch max book pro
2.5 GHZ dual core intel i5
4gb 1600mhz DDR3 ram

Our laptop is quite slow, understand its an older model now with an older OS on it. We haven’t used it much (and there isn’t lots stored on it). I’m wondering if its going to be worthwhile to upgrade to SSD? we only want to use for basic word, excel and web browsing. Just to keep us going for a while until we can purchase a newer one. We have got windows 10 installed in parallels however it isn’t quite running 100% and has some nuances about it, so we would rather use the Mac OS for now. If it is worthwhile, can i just buy any SSD (not considering GB’s) or does it need a special one being a Mac?

Thanks

bingow

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2021
Alto, NM
@np1 another newbie here who had the identical problem. I'm typing this now on the same model Mac as yours, fixed well over a year ago. It's like new. All DIY, with the generous help of forum experts and a peek or two at YouTube. For about $175 including a Sabrent enclosure needed for the installation, I now have a Samsung EVO860 SSD (500 GB), an OWC NuPower 74 watt battery, and a new SATA cable. For your question, I do not know if "just any" SSD will work, but the SSD's specs should address compatibility. Good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.