Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robert1998

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 10, 2017
Hello guys! I'm running the near-GM High Sierra and noticed slow boot times on my MBP 2015 13 inch with SSD. It is happening to you also? Should I reinstall my OS? Or wait for the release on 25 September and the reinstall?

ashleykaryl

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
UK
I have slow boot times on my Mac Pro as well. I think it's quite common and hopefully they'll sort it out, because the talk previously was that startups would be faster.

impreza233

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2017
Hello guys! I'm running the near-GM High Sierra and noticed slow boot times on my MBP 2015 13 inch with SSD. It is happening to you also? Should I reinstall my OS? Or wait for the release on 25 September and the reinstall?
I think that the slow boot times are because of the debug thing that comes with macOS betas... I had this problem in my High Sierra install, before wiping it...

robert1998

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 10, 2017
So I'm not the only one experiencing this problem...Good to know...
So you say that I should wipe my SSD and reinstall right now?

nekton1

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2010
Asia
How slow is slow? What is the time in seconds from the RAM post until the login screen appears?

So I'm not the only one experiencing this problem...Good to know...
So you say that I should wipe my SSD and reinstall right now?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Where does the slow boot happen? Is there a delay before the Apple first appears on the screen? If it's that, then open up the Startup Disk control panel and reselect the proper startup disk.
If it's not that, starting up while holding command-v might show you something useful as to where the boot process slows.

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
I have the same year MacBook Pro (not sure on his CPU/RAM specs) and from a powered down state, from the moment I press the power button (using my Apple Watch stopwatch to take the time,) it takes 5.05 second until I get to the point where I have to type in my password, I then hit lap on the stopwatch. Once I type my password in, and the dock and menubar is showing I stop my stopwatch on my Apple Watch, and that takes 19.13 seconds because I have FileVault enabled. So total, 24.18 seconds from chime to useable desktop, however, it takes me about two and a half seconds to type in my password, so really more like 21.88 seconds from a cold boot.

I am still on macOS Sierra though, but I just wanted to let you know that +1:00 minute is super slow and I would imagine it is, as someone else said from the debugging script running in the beta. Even though it is a GM Release Candidate it is still a beta, as indicated by the "a" at the end of the OS version number.

:apple:

ashleykaryl

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
UK
I never timed it precisely, but mine was taking around 20 seconds on Sierra and more like a minute with High Sierra. Presumably this will be fixed when the official version comes out, unless it also means leaving the beta channel.

ashleykaryl

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
UK
I just cleared all my cache files using an app called Disk Doctor and did a couple restarts. It's now down to around 20 seconds, much like Sierra was.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.