Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lakris

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 6, 2020
Norway
iI use a wireless fast qi charger 10 w for my iPhone 11 but I don't think it charges quick enough. I had a wireless charger with 5w before, and the 10 w and the 5 w takes about the same amount of time to charge. For the 10 w charger I use a Sony quick charger adapter which should be fast enough for quick charging, but isn't.
I don't know much about charging, watt, ampere, volt and so forth so there may be obvious things I'm missing. I live in Norway, if that have anything to do with the problem regarding electricity.

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
The fastest QI charging speed the iPhone 11 can take is 7.5w. If your "fast" charger doesn't support that profile, it would default back down to 5W.

So what you are experiencing isn't unexpected. On an iPhone 11, make sure the charger advertises 7.5W QI charging compatible for optimal wireless charging (still slow).

Lakris

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 6, 2020
Norway
The fastest QI charging speed the iPhone 11 can take is 7.5w. If your "fast" charger doesn't support that profile, it would default back down to 5W.

So what you are experiencing isn't unexpected. On an iPhone 11, make sure the charger advertises 7.5W QI charging compatible for optimal wireless charging (still slow).
The charger is 10 w, so even if my phone can't charge faster than 7,5 it still would be faster than 5w? I don't know a lot about qi-charging or charging in particular, but isn't the problem here the wall adapter?

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN

I haven’t timed my iPhone‘s charging in awhile but from what I recall, the 5 watt (wired) adapter charges my X in full (0 to 100%) in about 3.5 hours. My Anker 10 watt Qi charger connected to a 10 watt Apple AC adapter gets the job done in about 2.5 hours.

No matter what watt adapter, 90%+ of the battery charge will be a trickle.

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
The charger is 10 w, so even if my phone can't charge faster than 7,5 it still would be faster than 5w? I don't know a lot about qi-charging or charging in particular, but isn't the problem here the wall adapter?
There are several QI charging profiles in existance. iPhone 11 only supports 5W and 7.5W. That means it is irrelevant what your charger has printed on it, it ain't getting more than 7.5w. If that profile doesn't exist on your charger, then you'll get 5w.

There are plenty of "15w" chargers you can buy today that are essentially 5w chargers for iPhones because they were designed for androids and ever implemented the 7.5w. Take a look at the fine print on the back of the charger, it should enumerate the output wattages as well as the required input wattages. Better yet, tell us the exact model of charger you have so we can help you out.

That said, you also mentioned the wall charger. Some wireless chargers are finicky with what they take. Many generic QI chargers require a QC 3 compatible charger to achieve their max charging speeds. Might be worth changing.

Lakris

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 6, 2020
Norway

I haven’t timed my iPhone‘s charging in awhile but from what I recall, the 5 watt (wired) adapter charges my X in full (0 to 100%) in about 3.5 hours. My Anker 10 watt Qi charger connected to a 10 watt Apple AC adapter gets the job done in about 2.5 hours.

No matter what watt adapter, 90%+ of the battery charge will be a trickle.
I sometimes use an iPad charger and I think it works much faster than the original charger, but since I haven't timed it I can't be sure. Next time I'll try the iPad charger on the wireless qi-charger to see if that makes any difference.

Lakris

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 6, 2020
Norway
There are several QI charging profiles in existance. iPhone 11 only supports 5W and 7.5W. That means it is irrelevant what your charger has printed on it, it ain't getting more than 7.5w. If that profile doesn't exist on your charger, then you'll get 5w.

There are plenty of "15w" chargers you can buy today that are essentially 5w chargers for iPhones because they were designed for androids and ever implemented the 7.5w. Take a look at the fine print on the back of the charger, it should enumerate the output wattages as well as the required input wattages. Better yet, tell us the exact model of charger you have so we can help you out.

That said, you also mentioned the wall charger. Some wireless chargers are finicky with what they take. Many generic QI chargers require a QC 3 compatible charger to achieve their max charging speeds. Might be worth changing.
I think I know the output wattage on the chargers, but what does the input mean? I have a few chargers: a Sony qualm quick charge 2 (I think) but that didn't work much faster than the original. I have a 5w apple charger, a 10 w iPad charger, an Exibel charger I think is 10 or 12w and a Samsung super quick charger 25 w.
What is QC3?

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
I think Apple only allows 7.5W max through wireless charging, if you have the 12 series, you have to use their proprietary wireless charger to get faster which is just BS but what can you do.

Lakris

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 6, 2020
Norway
I think Apple only allows 7.5W max through wireless charging, if you have the 12 series, you have to use their proprietary wireless charger to get faster which is just BS but what can you do.
Thats too bad. :rolleyes: But 7,5 would still be a little faster than 5? Maybe not noticeable...?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.