Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Professional

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
Several months ago I setup an xserve for a client of mine. Client computers are configured as part of an OD server and things to be working fine on the local network; However, client laptops are apparently having issues when they off network at home. These issues include applications frequently crashing or loading extremely slow.

I believe this issue may be to do with OD, but I'm not sure how. Unfortunately the server is on an ADSL connection, so there isnt much bandwidth and response times are slower from the server. Does OD do some sort of authentication for applications that would attribute to this delay in bootup? The WGM is not set to manage applications though, only computer authentication. Does anyone have any advice on tracking down this problem?

mathcolo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2008
Boston
Does OD do some sort of authentication for applications that would attribute to this delay in bootup? The WGM is not set to manage applications though, only computer authentication. Does anyone have any advice on tracking down this problem?

I think it could definitely have to do with the fact that the server runs on an ADSL connection. If I remember correctly, the client does some sort of communication with the server upon application run.

Is there any way you could upgrade that network to something a bit better with less latency and better speed?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.