Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dcmaccam

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2017
West Coast of Scotland
I am having same problem. Write speed is very low. It is about 56MBps. Read speed as good as it was when I bought the drive.; Samsung support is not existing at all. They verifying my warranty for more that month and still doing it. My T5 works perfectly. I have forced to buy TB3 external enclosure and add into it 2Tb NVME drive. Now I have 1600MBps write and 2600 read! Still have no idea what to do with T7. Return time is expired already :(
Could you tell what model of TB3 enclosure and what model of NVME drive you purchased. Also how is the performance still doing now you have had it a while. Finally did you enable TRIM on the drive as it has a TB3 connection. Thinking of getting a 1Tb NVME drive to uses as a boot drive for my 2019 iMac. Was originally going to use T7 but now having second thoughts.

XRayAdamo

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2020
Enclosure

SSD

So, write speed (as well as a read speed) is also jumping but not that bad as T7. Usually it like 2100/2700. And it seems it is more about the temperature of enclosure. The hotter it gets the slower write speed.

I use it for Timemachine backup and to store some other info and projects. on it

Reactions: dcmaccam

trevoz

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2021
Mine was a standard T7 without the touch sensor.

In contrast, my two year old 2TB T5 still performs at full speed as well as the day I bought it, albeit more slowly than the T7 is supposed to perform. After experiencing the T7 issue, I did some research and discovered the T7 (both flavours) is not recommended for video work because it cannot sustain a reasonable speed (unlike the T5 which is still recommended). All the usual hardware review sites rave about the T7, but the reality seems to be different :(

Reactions: dcmaccam

dcmaccam

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2017
West Coast of Scotland
Mine was a standard T7 without the touch sensor.

In contrast, my two year old 2TB T5 still performs at full speed as well as the day I bought it, albeit more slowly than the T7 is supposed to perform. After experiencing the T7 issue, I did some research and discovered the T7 (both flavours) is not recommended for video work because it cannot sustain a reasonable speed (unlike the T5 which is still recommended). All the usual hardware review sites rave about the T7, but the reality seems to be different :(
Good to know??

XRayAdamo

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2020
Not related to T7 but to the TB3 device I have posted above. It seems that MacMini with M1 chip do has a problem with TB3 devices behaving very badly. Speed jumping for read and write between 500 and 2100! When I test same device on Macbook Pro i9 zspeed is always at max and never drops! :( Very sad news for me
Here is a screenshot
1610234132823.png

trevoz

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2021
I received an email from Samsung to say that there was no fault found with my T7 and they were returning it :(

It arrived yesterday and today I tested it (after reformatting in a Windows VM because Mojave Disk utility could not do anything with it)... the write speed is back to 979 MB/Sec :)

I've emailed Samsung to ask what they did to it...

trevoz

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2021
Quick email response from Samsung: "All we did was connect it to a PC with our test software which formats the Portable SSD and then tests the drive." None the wiser. The firmware was not updated - I just did that now (it was just one revision behind current).

duri

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2013
Rothrist, Switzerland
My Samsung T7 Catalina boot drive has slow write speeds too. I noticed the blue led is constantly flashing. Is this normal?
Don't know, why is became so slow.

Last edited:

trevoz

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2021
Slowing write speeds normal? I believe so based on reports.

I've not used my T7 much at all since Samsung returned it. Instead I bought a Samsung T5 2T which does not have any write speed issues. I won't be buying another T7 - great read speeds but not write speeds.

duri

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2013
Rothrist, Switzerland
I did reformated my T7 2GB (standard) to NTFS and tried on my Company Laptop over USC-C. Both write and read speeds are back to normal. So I was sure, it's not a broken drive. I did restore from TimeMachine and my read and write speeds are back to normal on my iMac with Mac OS Catalina (10.15.7). I really hope, it's stays this way. What I want to mention: I did update the firmware once on my T7. If I remember correctly, the issue started with that. After restore it's runnning just fine. The blue LED seems to flash all the time, it's normal. I feel, my SSD is not that hot as before. Hope this information can help someone too.

quynhtrang

macrumors member
May 19, 2018
I was getting slow speeds on a Samsung T7 1TB that was 80% full attached to a TB3 port and used as a boot drive for a 2019 iMac running Catalina. The write speed was as low as 40MB/s while read speeds were ok at 800-900 MB/s. I installed Big Sur on another 1TB T7 and have been getting tolerable write speeds- around 500 MB/s.

After formatting the old drive as NFTS on a Bootcamp Window 10 partition, installing Samsung Magic, updating the firmware and enabling TRIM it seems back to the normal mediocre 800-900 MB/s read and write speeds after formatting it back on the Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.