Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thekaiser

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2002
Huntington Beach, CA
My iMac 1GHz machine folds at nearly the same rate as my Pentium II 366 Dell laptop. Does this seem strange to anyone. I use the graphical client, and I am not sure what else can be done to speed up the process. I am new to folding and not sure if this has been covered. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
1. You don't want the graphics. They slow folding now slightly. If you mustr use the graphical client then don't turn on the prety graphics.

Because Folding uses you IDLE computer time use your computer less... or turn off un-used applacations... and such.

Your 1 GHZ iMac should be much faster than your slower laptop.

If you don't need the grapics (since you can't even turn them off) switch to the console client. Then you can download the folding progress app. (Watch your folding being done---% wise) and if you need help setting up the console mc68k's SP Script will do most for you.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Re: Slow Folding?

Originally posted by thekaiser
My iMac 1GHz machine folds at nearly the same rate as my Pentium II 366 Dell laptop. Does this seem strange to anyone. I use the graphical client, and I am not sure what else can be done to speed up the process. I am new to folding and not sure if this has been covered. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
i have 2 PIIs running here at work, and man they are SLOW folding. they prob take around a week or two for any given protein.

anything that's 1GHz that i have tested should take just a few days to a week depending on the protein, whether it be mac or pc.

it might be a difference in proteins as well. there are many proteins that stanford can give ur machine. so if your PII got a small one and ur mac got a large one, they could appear to be crunching at the same rate. and the graphics do significantly add to processing time, so try to hide the app. check the FAQ at the top of this forum too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.