Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maverick22

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
I have an 8+ and often have very slow internet browsing on my AT&T Uverse wifi. Sometimes it takes 10-15 seconds just to load a web page/go to the next site.

I get frustrated, turn wifi off, and things are great again using LTE. I shouldn't have to use my data though when I'm paying for 75 mbps down.

Anyone else have Uverse Internet at home and have slow browsing issues?

Suggestions?

thanks

sjperformance

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2013
Miami 305
I have an 8+ and often have very slow internet browsing on my AT&T Uverse wifi. Sometimes it takes 10-15 seconds just to load a web page/go to the next site.

I get frustrated, turn wifi off, and things are great again using LTE. I shouldn't have to use my data though when I'm paying for 75 mbps down.

Anyone else have Uverse Internet at home and have slow browsing issues?

Suggestions?

thanks

Yes I do I do. I have the 1000mgbs plan. Runs my Vivint home system and camera awesome. Nest thermostat. Doorbell. Everything just runs good on it. On my XS Max I always stayed AT&T LTE. Slow speeds. On my pro Max it’s gotten better. At home I keep my phone off WiFi though. LTE aka 5Ge faster and consistent.

Reactions: maverick22

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
I get get speeds on my U-Verse internet, but I don't use their terrible routers, I use Eero instead and disable the wifi on the U-Verse router, their coverage is pretty poor.

sjperformance

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2013
Miami 305
I get get speeds on my U-Verse internet, but I don't use their terrible routers, I use Eero instead and disable the wifi on the U-Verse router, their coverage is pretty poor.

And many have told me this too. Even the technician. Their routers suck. When I remodeled my new house I opted for fiber. That’s why I got the 1000mbs plan. But router defiantly sucks.

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
And many have told me this too. Even the technician. Their routers suck. When I remodeled my new house I opted for fiber. That’s why I got the 1000mbs plan. But router defiantly sucks.

Yep, I have gigabit fiber as well, get 4-5 times faster speeds not using their router.

atmuwben

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2013
Yes, same issue on AT&T Fiber with provided router.
On Wi-Fi, websites hang for several seconds then instantly appear.
Speedtest shows full speed.

maverick22

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
Yep, I have gigabit fiber as well, get 4-5 times faster speeds not using their router.

Wow, must be nice to have 1000 offered. 100 is the highest here.

So what router do you guys suggest (on a somewhat tight budget)? I’m a dummy with routers and connections. Is it easy to hook up and make work with the current AT&T router? What do you do exactly?

Thanks!
[automerge]1569549984[/automerge]
Yes, same issue on AT&T Fiber with provided router.
On Wi-Fi, websites hang for several seconds then instantly appear.
Speedtest shows full speed.

Exactly! I got tired of it so an AT&T tech came out. Of course the whole line looks great so there’s nothing he could do. He just basically said too many factors with WiFi and nothing he can do. He tried a couple of things that didn’t work.

I even showed him it taking 15 seconds using AT&T WiFi just to go to a website!

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007

If you move your phone right next to the modem/router and run speedtest what results do you get? If it is less than what AT&T promises then I'd let them fix it, if you can stomach their terrible support. There are a lot of routers with various options in terms of speed and easy of setup. Long ago I had Uverse and don't remember any wifi problems at the time.

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
Like many have said, the modem/router combo from ISP sucks. You would never want to lease anything from them because they mostly supply cheap/older modem/router and still gouge you like $10-15 a month for their hardware. Their routers enable them to broadcast to allow other subscriber to access this "free" WiFi at the expense of your bandwidth. You'll want to invest better router.

sjperformance

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2013
Miami 305
Like many have said, the modem/router combo from ISP sucks. You would never want to lease anything from them because they mostly supply cheap/older modem/router and still gouge you like $10-15 a month for their hardware. You'll want to invest better router.

I will read into this and buy a better modem next week. I don’t mind using my LTE but I want to take advantage of the 1000mbs fiber at home.

maverick22

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
If you move your phone right next to the modem/router and run speedtest what results do you get? If it is less than what AT&T promises then I'd let them fix it, if you can stomach their terrible support. There are a lot of routers with various options in terms of speed and easy of setup. Long ago I had Uverse and don't remember any wifi problems at the time.

The Speedtest results are always fine whether I’m close or far. Non-Apple devices are fine also.

It seems like there’s something going on with Apple and Uverse modems not working well together. Sometimes my WiFi when browsing is fine. It’s very inconsistent.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
If you want to invest for the future, you can invest in an AX router.

That's one way to go. Another would be to get a good, but much cheaper, router for now that gives you the speeds you want on your devices. Then when you have a lot of AX devices (an area where it shines) then get the latest, revised AX modem for maybe 1/2 the cost of the current ones with the bugs worked out. Probably will spend about the same amount of money but will end up with a better AX modem.

the modem/router combo from ISP sucks.

Actually the Comcast router for their gigabit service is quite good. ~2x the speed of the mesh router (Linksys Velop Wireless AC-4400 Tri-Band) I was using, as fast or faster than the well reviewed TP-Link AC2300. ~400-500 Mbps at a ~30 feet vs ~250 Mbps for the Velop.

Last edited:

atmuwben

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2013
Five months later I finally bought a router.

I put an Asus ROG Rapture GT-AC2900 into IP passthrough.
The difference in web browsing with this router compared to the ATT router is astonishing.

Sirs

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2020
Five months later I finally bought a router.

I put an Asus ROG Rapture GT-AC2900 into IP passthrough.
The difference in web browsing with this router compared to the ATT router is astonishing.
Could you tell me how you do this? I just got a new house with ATT fiber and Uverse and our Ip[hones wifi is ****. Seeing your post has given me hope! What do I do? While I am not computer illiterate, I am a novice with networking or IT related things.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
If the AT&T WiFi router has performance issues you can connect your own router to the cable modem to see if that improves your reception. Be sure you can return it if it doesn't do what you need.

Newer AX routers used with devices that support AX (such as the iPhone 11) can give speeds well into the 500-1000 Mbps range.

Sirs

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2020
Thank you very much! I was discussing with my cousin who is in IT related field and he suggested maybe trying the google wifi mesh system plugged into the modem and use that as wifi. I bought two “pods” or whatever they call them and will plug one into the modem upstairs in the closet (centrally located and only place the connection comes in) and another downstairs. Hopefully that fixes it. It cost 250 if it doesn’t work I’ll return them and then go a different route I suppose. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: rui no onna

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Thank you very much! I was discussing with my cousin who is in IT related field and he suggested maybe trying the google wifi mesh system plugged into the modem and use that as wifi. I bought two “pods” or whatever they call them and will plug one into the modem upstairs in the closet (centrally located and only place the connection comes in) and another downstairs. Hopefully that fixes it. It cost 250 if it doesn’t work I’ll return them and then go a different route I suppose. Fingers crossed.
Mesh systems are great.

My room is practically a Faraday cage. I used to have a dedicated wireless access point (connected via wired ethernet) so I can get wifi on my mobile devices. It was a pain manually switching SSIDs everytime I moved from living room to bedroom.

Switched to a wireless mesh (with ethernet backhaul) and my devices now seamlessly roam between mesh points.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.