Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Original poster
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I'm hoping someone can help me figure out a problem with my home network. Here's the setup:
  • Xfinity internet with 400 Mbps download speeds
  • Arris Surfboard 6183 modem
  • TP-Link AC2600 router broadcasting both 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz wireless networks (multiple clients on both networks)
  • TP-Link AV1000 powerline adapter connected to gigabit Ethernet port on the router
  • HP Xeon workstation (not sure the exact model, but newer) connecte to the other end of the AV1000 (one room away from the router)
Wireless clients on both the 2.4 and 5 ghz networks behave as you'd expect, with download speeds on the 5 ghz network routinely reaching 400 Mbps. But the Xeon workstation cannot get above 50-60 Mbps. This is not a theoretical problem, as it needs 100+ Mbps to adequately do its job (medical imaging).

I guess the possible trouble spots are:
  • ethernet port of router
  • powerline adapter(s) (hardware or connection)
  • ethernet port of Xeon workstation
any suggestions for troubleshooting? Thanks!

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
TP-Link AV1000 powerline adapter connected to gigabit Ethernet port on the router
I would bet that this is the reason for the slow internet.

Even in the best possible conditions, there will be a performance loss when using Powerline adapters.

The easiest way to troubleshoot this is to eliminate the Xeon Workstation and Router, is by temporarily running a long ethernet cable from the router to the workstation and test the connection. If your speeds look good, it is most likely the Powerline adapter.

Last edited:
Reactions: QCassidy352

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Original poster
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Update: the direct connection helped a lot. The VPN the HP is using still slows the network connection down from ~400 to ~150, but that should be good enough and way better than the ~60 we were getting with the power line adapter. Thanks, @vertical smile !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.