Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jksylvester

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2018
Hello,

I've got a Macbook pro 2012, I use it everyday mostly to edit videos on. Recently its been really struggling to run projects, I've done everything in the software to speedup projects, deleted unnecessary apps, cleaned my hard drive...I've done it all but It still runs pretty slowly. Before I go and splash out on a new mac I was wondering if there's anything I can do to speed it up and keep it running for a few years?

It seems like its max out on specs and Its telling me I've got an SSD hard drive. I was wondering if replacing the hard drive with a new one would help and replacing the RAM too? How long are they meant to last? I also don't want to buy a new SSD/RAM for it to only be a little bit faster, I need this thing to speed through projects. I get theres only so much speeding up of an old machine that can be done, will I just be wasting money by upgrading the hard drive and RAM? I'd rather just use the money to buy a new mac if its not going to make much of a difference.

Specs
2.8 GHx intel Core i7 processor
16 GB ram
1 TB internal storage (APPLE SSD SM1024F)

Thanks in advance for the help!

TallGuyGT

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2011
NYC
Replacing RAM and the SSD won't help. What size MacBook Pro? I can see a 13" with integrated graphics being slow, but the 15" of that era should keep up.

Also, what software and version are you using to edit videos?

jksylvester

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2018
Replacing RAM and the SSD won't help. What size MacBook Pro? I can see a 13" with integrated graphics being slow, but the 15" of that era should keep up.

Also, what software and version are you using to edit videos?

Yeah its a 13". So you think I need to buy a new MacBook?

I'm using final cut pro 10.4

TallGuyGT

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2011
NYC
Yeah its a 13". So you think I need to buy a new MacBook?

I'm using final cut pro 10.4

I think a 15" with discrete graphics would be a huge improvement, if you don't mind the size increase. I'm running a 2014 and it still performs great. Not as thin and light as my 2017, but I do like the keyboard and ports better.
[doublepost=1540662827][/doublepost]
Find yourself a 2015 rMBP 15 inch.
I second this, these are great laptops.

Reactions: jksylvester

Mr Screech

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2018
Stay with Sierra since Mojave doesn't support CUDA anymore.
Huge difference, sierra+premiere pro in "cuda-mode" gets you the best performance.
(have mid 2012 rmbp and downgraded a few days ago because of this)

Check your temps, cpu might be throttling.
If you're a little handy, buy yourself the 2 apple screwdrivers to open up the backside to remove dust from heatsinks.
Even better, remove the heatsink and thermalpaste and put in 10$ arctic silver.

//if you're using adobe software you might want to run the 2014 editions for best performance.

Reactions: jksylvester

RAJESHWAR

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2018
INDIA
Disable all graphics, this will speed up the machine, check my previous post, I have listed few terminal commands. It worked for me, my Mac is bit faster now ("without spending a penny")

golftime

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2013
Northeast
I can't speak for 13 in but I have a mid 2012 15 inch pro that was crawling and beach balling all the time. I replaced the hard drive with an SSD along with a new SATA cable since they are a known achilles heal on those, and the speed increase was incredible. If fact the difference between it and the new pros was imperceptible.

vemac575

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2018
Here are your options.

2x 512gb SSDs in Raid 0 and you're already maxed out on RAM. Probably cost you around 150 total, for the bay, and both drives. That will be a lot faster than the fusion drive you have now. A lot. Never the less you still only have 2 cores and 16 RAM.

I would not had recommended this second option, but given that you are considering saving the mac you have, you don't mind having discrete GPU. SO, upgrading to a refurb 13" quad core, will give you more cores, a faster storage solution, and a slightly better GPU than you have now, but it will still be discrete. BUT you can get an eGPU for a desk setup. That will run you around 2500 for all, depending on specs of course.

Option 3... You buy a 2015 MBP, used, for around 1200-15/1600. You now have a quad core, dedicated GPU, and a lovely screen, relative to what you have now, but it's now an old quad core with no warranty and it's 15" with only 4 cores and everything else about it is outdated, depending on your perspective which is based on what type of devices you use.

With these options, you will be saving money in the short run, but spending MORE in the long run.

Options 4 and 5 are probably harder to make because it requires you to take that financial leap, though instead of falling hard, you will be flying like a beautiful bird.

This next option is the 6 core 15" refurb in the spec you wish, to save some money, but also have a MASSIVELY faster computer with a dedicated GPU and... well everything is JUST BETTER for you. This could run you 3400-4000. But you will be in a good position to sell for an upgrade down the road, and/or be up to date on tech that is new, and soon to come that you will probably not be able to utilize on your 2012 13".

Last, is the option of compromise. You spend little money, but bar portability. ENTER... The new MAC MINI. Yea yea, no dedicated GPU... BUT... You spend 1400 measly dollars on the best chip, with everything else base, another 300 on a 32gb RAM stick that anyone can install themselves, and connect it to an external HD. THEN, you spend around 300 dollars on a decent eGPU. So you'd be looking at, assuming you have a decent external HD already, 2000 dollars for one hell of a setup. You can't take it with you, BUT you are fully ready to kill projects well into the future AND can still upgrade to 64gb RAM.

Whichever option is clearly up to you and dependent on your financial situation, as well as time issues. But all things considered, those are your best options. You now have to decide the variables. Option 1 will be cheapest, but only buy you a tad bit of time.

Let us know what you decide.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.