Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

munaber

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2022
Hi,

My MBP is becoming slow, high CPU activity while using excel or firefox mostly when there's an external screen plugged in.
I've recently changed the battery which is already better, but it's becoming complicated to use it for work.
My question is, is there anything I can upgrade in it or is the time to tell him goodbye after 10 years ???

Specs :
Macbook Pro Retina 15inch, SDD512 - mid 2012
2.6GHz intel Core i7
8go 1600MHz DDR3

It's actually running on Mojave (10.14.6), so don't know if am gonna be able to update it.

Hope there gonna be a solution, cause I don't want to change it for a new for what I do on it.

Thank you

Hombre53

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2018
One bit of advice I can give you. Since you are running Mojave, you need to use another browser other than Safari. Apple stopped security updates on Mojave, and this includes the native browser, Safari. Since you have 8gb of RAM, an upgrade to 16gb would not hurt. Lastly, if you have an HDD, swapping it out for for an SSD would bring good results.

AlumaMac

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2018
As stated above, SSD (with system clean install) & RAM upgrades would make a huge difference.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Even the late model Intel-based MacBooks have high CPU utilization when an external monitor is plugged in.

I wouldn’t spend another dollar upgrading such an old MacBook if you use it for work.

munaber

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2022
Even the late model Intel-based MacBooks have high CPU utilization when an external monitor is plugged in.

I wouldn’t spend another dollar upgrading such an old MacBook if you use it for work.

Even with more RAM ? Because If am on a google meet call, I can't share my screen even if the screen is not plugged in...

munaber

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2022
I bought my MBP with an SSD already in 2012. But does it worth it to change it since it was the first generation ?

I only use firefox, but my big issue now, is I can't do screen sharing during a Google meet call... I disabled the hardware acceleration, but it slows all lot. And when you work from home it's not easy.
It's a good computer, that works perfectly beside this, so I really don't want to buy I new one. He's still have few years for him !

Reactions: Reggaenald

Phil-from-Hamburg

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2021
I don‘t know if I get it correct, but I see a few things that lead me to the conclusion that you might should by a new laptop.
it is really old, it limits your work and potential outcome, component upgrades that would make a difference are not possible (new CPU),

You can try with 16 Gb Ram but I doubt that it will drastically increase performance. If you ask me, buy a new machine. Ask your company to get you a new one if it is a device for work. If you are self-employed, it should not be too difficult to find a budget for a new laptop.

BR

Last edited:
Reactions: jaysofficial03

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
After ten years it's probably thermal-throttling due to dried-up thermal-paste and dust. While trying my absolute best not to sound disrespectful, condescending or presumptive [of your abilities], usually the people asking questions about this kind of stuff are those with the least confidence and skill to remedy them. There are YouTube videos out there to help, if you do fancy a try.

AlumaMac

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2018
After ten years it's probably thermal-throttling due to dried-up thermal-paste and dust. While trying my absolute best not to sound disrespectful, condescending or presumptive [of your abilities], usually the people asking questions about this kind of stuff are those with the least confidence and skill to remedy them. There are YouTube videos out there to help, if you do fancy a try.
That’s a good point, opening the case and blowing out any dust might help and is relatively easy.

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
That’s a good point, opening the case and blowing out any dust might help and is relatively easy.
Sadly, only blowing out loose dust doesn't usually result in notably improved performance, though it might be cooler to touch afterwards. Replacing the thermal paste, on a ten year old computer, nearly always does.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Question:
Is this a "retina" MPB?
Does it have a DVD/CD drive?
Just want to be sure about that.
(I checked with Everymac.com and I think it said this is a "unibody")

Don't worry about "upgrading Safari" -- it will run fine.
I use Mojave on this Mini and have no plans to upgrade it, ever.
(although I'm downloading the latest beta of Monterey as I type this)

The 2012 MBP retina already has an SSD, and the RAM is NON-upgradeable.

Question:
How much free space is left on the internal drive?

Even an SSD can slow down when it becomes "nearly full".

munaber

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2022
Thank you all for your answer. I'll try to open it and to blow the dust.

munaber

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2022
Question:
Is this a "retina" MPB?
Does it have a DVD/CD drive?
Just want to be sure about that.
(I checked with Everymac.com and I think it said this is a "unibody")

Don't worry about "upgrading Safari" -- it will run fine.
I use Mojave on this Mini and have no plans to upgrade it, ever.
(although I'm downloading the latest beta of Monterey as I type this)

The 2012 MBP retina already has an SSD, and the RAM is NON-upgradeable.

Question:
How much free space is left on the internal drive?

Even an SSD can slow down when it becomes "nearly full".
Yes it's a MBP Retina mid 2012 with an SSD Drive. No CD DRive so it's not an unibody.
The SSD Drive is 512Go and I think I have left around 200Go...

munaber

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2022
I don‘t know if I get it correct, but I see a few things that lead me to the conclusion that you might should by a new laptop.
it is really old, it limits your work and potential outcome, component upgrades that would make a difference are not possible (new CPU),

You can try with 16 Gb Ram but I doubt that it will drastically increase performance. If you ask me, buy a new machine. Ask your company to get you a new one if it is a device for work. If you are self-employed, it should not be too difficult to find a budget for a new laptop.

BR
I think I am gonna keep this one for home, because it's still work well and take a new one.

Which one would you recommand ? I feel like the new ones are not that robust and don't last for years plus I don't like the touch bar :)

IJBrekke

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2009
Long Beach, CA
I think I am gonna keep this one for home, because it's still work well and take a new one.

Which one would you recommand ? I feel like the new ones are not that robust and don't last for years plus I don't like the touch bar :)
The current MacBook Air sounds perfect for what you want/need.

astorre

Suspended
Nov 4, 2021
5 more years ?. Seriously, it doesn’t slow on everything, this is why I was hoping I can do something
apps are being developed with increasing demands because there is more power available, so even though you maybe do the same thing with same software for 10 years, the base software needs more and more resources that your hardware wont match

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.