Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

woodspiral

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2021
Hi Folks,

From the spec sheets I should be getting around 500 MB/s transfers with my SSD but EtreCheck reports 260 MB/s write, 272 MB/s read.

I followed various threads about enabling TRIMS which I did and the output from the enable command indicated success. I rebooted in single user mode and ran fsck -fy and also in recovery mode and ran the disk first aid but neither of these said 'trimming unused blocks'. However, I now see TRIM Support enabled in the System Report - SATA/SATA Express section for the SSD. I reran the EtreCheck but the transfer speeds are the same - from another post I gather it doesn't fix things retrospectively.

I'm running High Sierra on a 11,3 iMac (mid-2010). The SSD was installed a few years ago by a local shop and my perception is that it is a bit slower than when it was first installed. They were replacing a genuine apple SSD (or one which came with the machine anyway) and if I was to be honest, it might have felt slower just after the replacement, but very subjective (in retrospect I should have measured it). I don't actually know for sure now anyway, as I was running Etre Check to fix something else and noticed the slow SSD report.

I've got two drives in my iMac:

disk2s1 APFS / 500GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO
disk0s2 Journaled HFS+ /Volumes/Macintosh HD 2 ST2000DM006-2DM164

I wondering if there is some other hardware limitation, like the SATA interface itself or a cable? Is there any further tweaking I can do to make this as fast as it should be? Please don't tell me that my mac is just too old!!

Thank you,
David.

prisstratton

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
The SATA interface in your iMac is SATA 2 and it is not capable of providing a greater throughput than what you are already seeing. There is nothing you can do to change this, it is part of the chipset on the motherboard of your iMac. Your Samsung 850 EVO is capable of faster speeds but the limitation is your system.

Sorry, I know this is not the answer you wanted to hear.

Some more reading here:

woodspiral

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2021
The SATA interface in your iMac is SATA 2 and it is not capable of providing a greater throughput than what you are already seeing. There is nothing you can do to change this, it is part of the chipset on the motherboard of your iMac. Your Samsung 850 EVO is capable of faster speeds but the limitation is your system.

Sorry, I know this is not the answer you wanted to hear.

Some more reading here:

Aw shucks. I might have guessed. Thanks for your reply.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.