Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gslrider

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 4, 2005
Why is searching, using the magnifying glass at the top right of the Finder menu bar, so much slower than opening a window and searching using the search field. I mean a lot slower. When I use the magnifying glass search, it takes almost a minute for items to populate (I kid you not). But let's even say 30 sec to be very generous. But when I search using an open window search field, it takes about 2 seconds, 3 tops, for items to start populating.

Now, just to eliminate the possibility that search using the open window search field was already sped up because I already did a search using the magnifying glass (indexed), I did another search of the same file using the magnifying glass right after the open window search, and again...30 sec.

Why does Yosemite do this? And if it's faster to do a search in an open window, why even bother with the magnifying glass? Just remove it all together. Make into a shortcut to open a window search field. I'm sure it will make the Mac OS X much more efficient. Less redundant, and useless features.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.